Mail over proxy?

SAbsar

Mac Graduate
Does anyone know how I can get MAIL to download my mail over a proxy?
I use Mail for gmail, and it was fine when I was on dial-up. But I just went on a LAN, and I need to access it thru a proxy server.

Thanks in advance.

Pengu said:
Im pretty sure that POP3 mail can't be accessed via proxy...

Uh, sorry but that is not correct.

There's a method called HTTP tunneling that will allow you to access your POP3 mail when you are behind a proxy. Also, if the proxy is a SOCKS type, some (many) mail programs let you configure the proxy server to work with.

I recommend using Entourage X (not 2004!) which will allow you to specify which kind of proxy server you have (HTTP or SOCKS), the address and the port.

There ar other methods (that will even allow you to access Gnutella or e2k on an Office LAN), but those fall far beyond this question (they can become very complicated).

Please help. I have a similar problem. I can't access my POP through mail account while I'm behind a proxy, nevertheless taht same account works fine on Entourage behind the proxy, so proxy settings seem to be ok. I haven't been able to to make Mail work behind this proxy (works fine a regular connection) either on Panther or my recently installed Tiger. What am I doing wrong?
Has someone been able to make Mail.app work behind a proxy?

I had (and still have) the same problem. I found a command-line solution that is very uncomfortable and I wouldn't recommend. I can't believe Apple didn't offer a full Proxy support.

Back