Mail Question

iswitched

Registered
How can I delete e-mail messages in Mail without actually viewing them? I have been getting a rash of PC virii e-mails recently, but I have been unable to delete them without actually opening them first - most annoying:mad:
The interesting thing is that when I check Mail on my office PC there is a box beside each message that I can check off to delete - but no such box on the Mac. I am sure there is a way to configure Mail, but I haven't been able to figure it out
:confused:
Any ideas??? Thanks!

iSwitched

One way to do it is to select more than one message at a time to delete. Mail can't display two messages at once, so it comes up with a blank window instead. PC virii won't harm your Mac, though. :) Nor will they spread across the network from your Mac. Thought you'd like to know.

Ricky thanks for your reply, but I have one more dumb question........

How do I select messages for deletion without clicking on them (which opens the message)? There is no box alongside each message which would enable me to check them off. I'm fairly new to Macs - that's my excuse anyway:)

iSwitched

if you double click that seperator bar (between mail and viewer window), then in order to open a message you must double click on it. Then you could select and delete with out ever opening.

Twister

Make sure your Junk Mail filter is on in your Preferences (like Properties, only better) under rules. This will move any mail sent from someone not found in your address book directly to trash. If you don't like the Junk filter You could turn that rule off and make a rule that only moves mail with attached files from people not in your address book to the trash. But like Ricky says. Viruses are not as big an issue on this side of the fence. Welcome home!

Thanks guys! Twister I didn't know about double clicking the separator bar - good tip and it worked. Bill I am also going to take your advice too.
Thanks to all of you for your help:D

iSwitched

Back