Mail Re-dierctor

Finch

Insert something here...
Anyone know of a free, cheap or app that I can use as a mail/port redirector? My ISP has blocked port 25 probably for SPAM reasons, anyhow I would like to run my mail server onsite. By the looks of it this is my only hold up.

I get that message periodically. After waiting about five minutes, the mail will go through.

How much mail are we talking about? What are you using now? Is it for an announce list or just your personal emails?

Its a FirstClass collaboration server no issue sending, logging in etc. users just can't receive messages... No cost if possible? But if there is a host that has a service $5-$15 a yr. eg. I'm willing to to pay. I'm sure there has to Port 25 workaround?

Finch,
I think you lost me. You want a service that users just receive email but not send? Won't you be the one sending?
I think you have to explain exactly what it is you want to do. And when are you getting the port 25 denial? What are you trying to send when you get that error?
Do you authentication turned on?

Should I enter the mail.example.com:587 as my MX Record? I pretty sure my MX records are routing messages but the ISP has blocked port 25 halting reciept of messages on the server.

My ISP(Sympatico) blocks port 25 inbound and outbound as well. If you want people to be able to send email with your server(not really needed as basically all ISPs have an SMTP server), you will have to set your server to listen to a port other than 25. Port 25 is the standard port for SMTP(sending email between servers, and sending email from an email client to a server).

Sounds like you want to be able to receive email on your server as well. This is not possible unless you set the server to receive on another port other than port 25. You can pay a company that offers to accept email for your domain name and forward it to you on another port besides 25. One I know of is dyndns.org, but there are many others. It's pretty cheap, especially if you have a lot of email coming in.

This service that you will pay for will be accepting your email for your domain. You tell the people providing the service the port your email server is listening on to accept email. They will then contact your server and send the email to you.

To send email from your server if your ISP also blocks port 25 outbound, you basically have to send via either your ISP's SMTP server, which will then sent the email to the proper domain, or you can use an outside server which is listening on another port.

You can't specify SMTP ports in MX records. Any email server will try on port 25 for your server listed in the MX record, and if it doesn't accept or can't connect, the email won't be delivered.

You will pretty much have to use a server outside your ISP's network because no matter what you run on your connection, the outbound port 25 is blocked, and all standard email servers listen on port 25.

Back