mail server osx 10.3

sebas

Dutch member
we have a XServe G5 running with macosx 10.3.7 server
i want to setup the mailserver build in the server software
can anyone tell me step by step what to setup??
or maybe a link to find information about the apple mailserver

sebas said:
we have a XServe G5 running with macosx 10.3.7 server
i want to setup the mailserver build in the server software
can anyone tell me step by step what to setup??
or maybe a link to find information about the apple mailserver

Hello Sebas,

If you were lucky getting it running, can you share some of the information.
I'm trying to do the same, but without luck so far.

Thx,
John

Hi guys,

(My system iMac G5, 160 MB, 1 Gb ram)
I'm quite new with apple but have enough Linux Gentoo experience.
I suppose it cannot be more complicates that Linux; right ?

At the moment I am running normal desktop OSX 10.3
I want to start using my iMac as a server; not 24 hrs a day, just sometimes.
But I have some questions.

2. If I have my server running as a server can I run normal programs like Appleworks, Safari or iTunes; just to name something.

3. How do I make a pratition before the install ?

If the answer to 2 is that i can then I would run the server 24 hrs.

Thank you for your help.

Manzana(res)

Wow, that's a very broad question! :) I have my mail server running on OS X Server without issue, so if you run into a specific issue, post it, or go to my website (in my sig) and contact me. I'm happy to help when I can!

-------

There really isn't a place to 'borrow' server, legally. Your primary differences between client and server are the open source server components, so, if you don't want to buy a license, you could go and compile all the pieces your missing. Client can run as a 10-user server license for file sharing, which is all that unlimited vs 10 user really applies to.

Safari and iTunes should run, I know Safari does, I think iTunes still does (I'm not in front of my server and don't crank up the tunes on it! :) ). AppleWorks, no clue. The iLife suite won't run, but there are ways to hack it, though it will eat up your CPU pretty quickly. Then again, if your really using client with compiled open source projects, its still really al client machine, so all client apps should run. In theory...

Thank you for the tips.
I will get working on it, I just wanted to hear from first hand before I turned the whole thing around.

Rgds.

Go3iversion:

Thinking about your comment the broadness of my question , the things is this:
At the monent I run a few Linux (Gentoo) servers, very stable, but very time consuming.
As I understabd it, os X Server is quick and easy to implement + the stability of a UNIX system.
Would you agree ?

I don't vat to be /var or /etc "-ing" anymore !!!!

manzana - if you are speaking of just HTTP serving (normal web serving, rather than Mail serving), you can do it VERY easily, right now.

Go into System Preferences, Sharing, and switch ON personal web sharing. If you're on broadband, set your router to port-forward port 80 to your computer, and get a DynDNS.org dynamic DNS server (depending on your hardware and network configuration, you'll probably need a DynDNS updating software program), and you'll be up and running.

Web Sharing doesn't affect the usage of other programs.

If, however you're speaking more in terms of installing OS X Server, well count me out, I don't know anything about it :p.

Are you serious.... ?? Thanks I'll try that this afternoon, once I am at home.
Any idea how many sites I can host...?
I have my own domains, static IP, etc....

Panther client actually has Apache built in for personal web serving. It won't give you the robust reporting and features as you would have out of the box in server, but it's ample if you just want to simply push out some web content.

You can be creative and compile the open source tools from Server, as we discussed. Server will add things like WebDAV, SSL, WebMail service (in conjunction with mail), creation of multiple sites (including non standard ports to serve them from), default index pages, default directories for each site, admin email, IP address assignment per site to serve from, Performance Caching, CGI execution, Realms, Certificate authority and aliasing all from the GUI.

Of course, that's just what you can do per site, for the entire server, you have many options as far as MIME types to include, proxy servers to use and Apache modules as well.

That's not to say you couldn't get a lot of this functionality back through open source, I'm sure you could, but there is something to be said about the elegant style in which Apple provides all of this, plus remote management and reporting tools to you, right out of the box. :)

So, localhost will work on your local machine, if you actually want someone besides you to see your site, the address would be:

http://you.ip.address.here/~manzana/

or

http://MachineName.local/~manzana/

Of course, these are private addresses. If you want these to be world viewable, you need to have a router translate from your public IP to your internal IP address. If you have a PowerBook, the Linksys WRT54G is a great wireless router that supports DDNS service by DynDNS.com. You can have the router continually update your dynamic IP to your DynDNS account so that your reachable at all times. Then just assign a rule that forwards all incoming traffic on port 80 to your web server's internal IP address.

I am having problems receiving my email with fechmail, I get an error SMTP Connection error when they are sent to my local machine (10.3.8) client allso if I telnet from localhost 25 I get "telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused" but it does connect to postfix.

did anybody run into similar problems.

thanks.

edward

Wow, that could be alot of things! :)

Are allowing traffic on port 25? Maybe check your IPFW rules and make sure your provider allows traffic on 25?

Can you send/receive any mail from your server? Is it a 10.3.8 OS X Server or Client with some sort of mail service built on it? Any other system log entries?

Back