Mail Signature

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
I'm not having much luck with HELP. Can someone tell me if it;s possible (and how) to attach a image (say, a tiff) to a Mail Signature? The best I can come up with is a link to an attachment (of a tiff) that is Not one the reciepients (sp) computer.

I found it very easy...I created a new signature in Preferences and dragged a graphic into the window. I even tested it to make sure and everything worked fine.

BTW, you might want to only use GIFs or JPEGs as most other image formats are too large (filesize-wise).

I just tried it again. I dragged the 90 bpi jpeg into the signature and text emailed to my PC. It continues to sent the image as an extra attachment.

Did you sent the message as plain text or rich text?

It would probably have to be rich text for the image to show up in the message. You can toggle this with the Format menu in Mail.

It might not make any difference, but I don't have a PC to test with right now.

Assuming your using MacOSX's default mail program:

You can add a graphic to your signature when you create it by simply dragging the graphic into the text field. The graphic should be a GIF or JPG and the mail message needs to be in RTF format.

Yep, I'm using Mail. And I've tried dragging the GIF from the orginal folder and as a Clip art, with the same results. The Signature is in RTF. Are you saying it;s also necessary for the body of the email to be set for RTF? I haven't found a way to do that, and have assumed it was already set for rtf.

You feedback is Much appreciated.

OK, I ran a couple of tests and it actually doesn't matter if you mail message is RTF or plain text. But just for the record this can be changed in the preferences. Under the compose tab, look for Default Message Format: and select either RICH TEXT or PLAIN TEXT.

I'm not sure what you mean by "and as a clip art" so for clarity lets just use a GIF file. For my test I used a GIF file that is 50 x 50 pixels. There may be size restrictions. Try a GIF file at this size first, once you get this size to work you can experiment with other sizes.

Open MAIL PREFERENCES and select the SIGNATURES tab.

Click CREATE SIGNATURE.

In the drop down window give your signature a name.

In the same drop down window enter your signature information into the text field.

Leaving this drop down window open, go to your finder and locate the GIF file you would like to use.

Drag the GIF file into the text field of the drop down window. The GIF file will appear in the text field if you've done it right.

Click OK

At the bottom of the preferences widow set SELECT SIGNATURE to your newly created signature.

Close your preferences window.

Create a new mail message. You should see your newly created signature in the new mail message.

Okay, I don't know What's going on now: I Am able to see the gif when I send to Outlook on my PC (although the gif is Not where I had placed it, only top/center, instead). Problem now is that the received tag is Duplicated. First time with the viewable gif, the second time (text from body of email and all) with the gif once again only a failed link.

I even deleted the old signature and created a new one, to no avail. When I used the tag Without the gif, it came through on Outlook just fine (except, of course, with no image).

BTW, what I mean by Clip Art is that I had saved the gif into appleworks clip art and tried dragging over into the signature from there.

You know, I figured out how to do it before, but now, for the life of me, I don't know how.

What I want to do is attach an image to a Mail signature. I've tried gif and tiff, and it always looks right when I set it up in Mail Preferences (signatures), but upon arrival on a PC, the image is only an attachment, and not part of the email body.

The other signature still works fine.

I would Very much appreciate a solution to this once again non Help Viewer, non Apple KB documented question.

The problem may be the image itself.
I wouldn't use AppleWork to ready the image (or at any other time personally!), drop the image into Preview (Free with OSX) and export it as a JPEG.

What Mail Client are you using on the PC end?

You could use an image of text rather then actual text. The only problem with that is that the receipient won't be able to cut and paste your contact info.

Back