Mail SSL Imap SMTP problem

knussear

Registered
For reasons beyond my control my "corporate" mail account is housed on Lotus Domino servers. I hate the Notes client so I got IMAP access turned on for my account. I use Apple Mail.app for my main mail client program to check my various other accounts, and I set up an IMAP account for the corporate account there as well. Mail seems to be able to download mail just fine, but I cannot send! I have checked and reched the SMTP settings and they are exactly as our IT admin people specified (Using SSL, port 465, password authentication). I get an error back that the server doesn't support authenticaiton when I enter my username and password. When I leave the username and password out, I get an error message that the server requires authentication. I set up an account using the same exact information using Mozilla firebird and I can send and retrieve mail with no problem. But.... I like the way Mail works better so I would like to stick with it.

Can anyone help????

Try changing the authentication type. Try MD5 challenge-response. I have similar problems on my server, Mac/FreeBSD/Real OS's authentication works fine, but Windows craps on it, aint too worried bout that. Also try using port 25, adding/removing SSL, etc.

Yea, I tried all of that, and nothing goes through. Makes me nuts. Powermail, and gnumail.app both work right out of the box also....

In Mail, try leaving your name and password in, and under Account Information>Server Settings, set Authentication to None.

I get the error message "the email was rejected by server, server response authentication required"

If I set authentication to password I get "the SMTP server doesn't support authentication. Please check your settings and try again"

all other authentication protocols fail as well

Back