Mail's rules won't migrate to System Leopard

Adonsa

Registered
Hi,

Mail.app rules won't migrate from System Tiger to System Leopard.

Here's what I did:
-- Clean install of System Leopard 10.5.6 onto a new Mac Pro.
-- Used Migration Assistment to move files from System Tiger to System Leopard 10.5.6.
-- Mail.app's rules failed to migrate.

So, I manually copied MessageRules.plist into the proper folder to replace the newly created and empty rules set in System Leopard's mail.app, and afterwards, the rules then showed up in mail's preferences.

However, the "manually migrated" [finder copied] rules won't run.

In order to narrow the scope of the problem, I moved the former System Tiger's mail.app rules to the desktop and allowed mail.app to re-create a new rules plist file, then I created a test rule and it worked.

Questions:

Anyone know why System Tiger's mail.app rules files won't migrate, and won't work upon manual migration?

Anyone know of a remedy to "properly import" the rules to the new [System Leopard based] mail.app, or to make the manually moved rules plist file work?

For what it's worth I did follow the procedures at
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1849306&tstart=90
in order to make the messages migrate.

Thanks much,
Jack

Hi,

Mail.app rules won't migrate from System Tiger to System Leopard.

Here's what I did:
-- Clean install of System Leopard 10.5.6 onto a new Mac Pro.
-- Used Migration Assistment to move files from System Tiger to System Leopard 10.5.6.
-- Mail.app's rules failed to migrate.

So, I manually copied MessageRules.plist into the proper folder to replace the newly created and empty rules set in System Leopard's mail.app, and afterwards, the rules then showed up in mail's preferences.

However, the "manually migrated" [finder copied] rules won't run.

In order to narrow the scope of the problem, I moved the former System Tiger's mail.app rules to the desktop and allowed mail.app to re-create a new rules plist file, then I created a test rule and it worked.

Questions:

Anyone know why System Tiger's mail.app rules files won't migrate, and won't work upon manual migration?

Anyone know of a remedy to "properly import" the rules to the new [System Leopard based] mail.app, or to make the manually moved rules plist file work?

For what it's worth I did follow the procedures at
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1849306&tstart=90
in order to make the messages migrate.

Thanks much,
Jack
Jack,
Thank you for posting this. I've been searching for this solution for a couple months and just found this site last week. It was so simple. Everything came back. Now I have to sort through my 200 emails that came through. I'm just happy it's working. Thanks again.

Hi Morris96,
Jack,
Thank you for posting this. I've been searching for this solution for a couple months and just found this site last week. It was so simple. Everything came back. Now I have to sort through my 200 emails that came through. I'm just happy it's working. Thanks again.

I assume you refer to making the messages migrate.
Please try your rules and see if they migrated and work.

I also tried removing the message rules and causing mail.app to use the backup rules, but then they (the rules I finder-copied) still wouldn't run.

I really hate to have to re-key over 200 rules. I also raised this issue over on the MacFixit website which is believed to be read by Apple employees, however no solution has been found over there yet.

All the best,
Jack

Back