Major Idiotic Mistake! Help!

drumly

Registered
Hi. I'm an idiot.
I was adding a new user acount on my iBook for my friends to use without having access to my settings, folders etc.
I had my system admin account logged in with fast user switch mode enabled. I switched over to the public account, and saw that the hard drive was still on the desktop, although everything else i had limited wasn't. I wanted to limit access to the hard drive, so went to get info on the hard drive, and picked the normal user account in the name field. i changed the read only in the permissions field to no access, and thats when all went to ****! Thinking the no access setting would only be for the normal account, it set it to both it and the system admin account. I was logged into the normal user acount, with the system preferences access disabled. So I used the quick login to switch over to the sys admin account. When I did that everything on the desktop, including the dock and the file menu bar disapeared. I could literrally do nothing. No shutdown, system prefs, etc. I was forced to do a hard reset (hold button down).

Once the ibook reset, i logged in to the new user account, hoping to be able to change the hard drive permissions from there. I couldn't. It asked me for my sysadmin user name and pass. When I put it in, it did the same thing to the new user account, that had happened to the sys admin account, complete blocked access. I was forced to reset again, this time though, login into either account ends up with a blank desktop. I don't know what to do other than a complete system restore, which means losing everything.
Someone please tell me there's another way.

Try booting off the system install CD and repair the permissions. With any luck it should see they are not right and fix it.

I've got to say, I was skeptical when I saw the post. I've used the site frequently over the past year, but this was the first time I couldn't find an answer to what I need in the previous post history. I know about the repair permissions approach, but have seen it posted way too often, so that was why I didn't think it would fix it. It did however, and I've got my fave system running again, as opposed to asking for help off my housemates crappy xp. Thanks A LOT! ::angel::

At least this time your permissions were actually screwed up, so Disk Utility could fix it. Generally fixing permissions does not really fix any problems from my experience. Glad I could help!

Fixing permissions is basically just that. Fixing permissions. Since your problem has to do with permissions, wouldn't that be the most clear cut reason to run Disk Utility to fix your permissions? ;)

Back