Major problems with getting network up

Acheron

Registered
OK, i try get two G4s communicate both running with os x10.1..here is the settings:

G4 one:
Show: built in ethernet
Network:
TCP/IP:
-configure using PPP
-Ip address xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
-router xxx.xxx.xx.x

(this comps need PPPoE active if not the ADSL wont work)

PPPoE:
-connect using PPPoE
then usernames and pw etc...
- then under apple talk it says i cannot make this active using PPPoE
-on proxies everything is off.

SHARING:
FILE&WEB
-file sharing is on.
-websharing off
FTP access allowed

application:
-Allow remote login
-allow remote apple events.

G4 Two:
Show Built in ethernet
TCP/IP:
-configure manually
-IP address 0.0.0.0
-subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-Router blank
PPPoE: not checked!
Apple talk:
Make apple talk active checked
-No apple talk zone visible
-config auto.

SHARING: same as on G4 one.

I thought I the other computers HD should pop on my deskop? It does not. How do I get the computers to see each other? I know the HUB and the ethernet cables works. My HUB says it sees the ADSL modem and both of the G4s. I am able to connect the internet with both of the comps..but of course only one at the time, not shared. I have gNAT so I should be able to share the internet connect. but i wonder what of the computers that should have gNAT installed, the comp. with internet (server) or the other.

problem 1: get the comps see each other so we can send files etc.
problem 2 share the adsl connection.

You may want to wander around the 'net and find a couple of tutorials on networking... but I can give some quick hints.

For one thing, each computer on the network needs to have an IP address, 0.0.0.0 is not a valid one. You can try using 192.168.x.x where the x denotes some number between 0 and 254. You really can pick anything you want in that range. Any addresses starting with those numbers are "fake" address and will not propagate out to the internet on their own (ie: routers will not send messages to or from them). This is a good thing.
On the mac with the fake address, you'll need to set the router to the IP address of the one with the "real" address (which is give by PPPoE when you connect, unfortunatly... so you can't guess it ahead of time) *Then* you set up NAT (using gNAT - I've played with it briefly, works well) so your PPPoE Mac can change that "fake" address into its own real one before sending it back out to the internet.

This seems like an awkward set up, though, since you don't know your IP until you connect. What is much better is having a computer with two ethernet cards in it. Right now, at my house, we have a linux box set up on the DSL line that has two NICs. One has the "real" address our ISP gave us (or in your case, the PPPoE settings) and the other with a fake address of 192.168.0.1 (or whatever). The fake address is plugged into the hub and any other machine (with fake addresses, also) is plugged into the hub along with it. The linux box then routes the traffic (using IP Masquarading) out to the internet.

Back