Making an Internal Drive an External Drive

HastaLaVista

Registered
I'm about to get a MacBook Pro, and I would like to take my set of 250GB HDs from my QuickSilver with me too (to become mobile). Is there a mobile case with a Firewire connector that I can put the my set of 250GB HDs? Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advanced and make it a great day!

If you live in the uk then Maplin make a case ( usb2), but I have seen Firewire boxes that work with your ide drives but I found them to be "iffy"

trooper

You need what's called an external enclosure, which can be bought with (depending on your needs and budget) firewire 400/800 or USB2 buses. You'll have to get one for each drive, unless you want to get a RAID enclosure and use a more advanced setup.

Thanks! Again, I really appreciate it.

Oh... What's "iffy" about going to a Firewire connection vs. USB?

Make it a great day! -Hastalavista

HastaLaVista said:
Oh... What's "iffy" about going to a Firewire connection vs. USB?
Nothing at all -- perhaps he/she just had a bad experience with a particular FireWire case, then made a broad, general conclusion that ALL FireWire external enclosures are of sub-par quality.

I actually prefer FireWire over USB 2.0, and have had no problems at all with putting IDE drives into FireWire enclosures.

I think as a general rule it's worth it to get a decent enclosure -- don't go for the cheapest one you can find. Some of these are made pretty poorly, and the way they cut corners is often with the buses and transport chipset. Which are the parts you want to work really well.

Thankyou bill, thats the nail, they churn these boxes out will no/poor drivers, would you trust an external drive that corrupted your data???? no support?

No guess not, the secret here is go for a drive that you can afford. But don't assume that your data is is safe until you have a hard copy.

It's a suggestion, not written in stone.

Anyway good luck Vista

We are here to help.

Thankyou bill, thats the nail, they churn these boxes out will no/poor drivers, would you trust an external drive that corrupted your data???? no support?

No guess not, the secret here is go for a drive that you can afford. But don't assume that your data is is safe until you have a hard copy.

It's a suggestion, not written in stone.

Anyway good luck Vista

We are here to help.

Back