Making Buttons in Flash 5...

Lessthanmighty

A never ending cycle...
I have recently obtained a copy of Flash 5. I have gone through all their little lessons on how to add animation, sound, etc. The only problem I seem to be having is with making buttons. These little buggers wont roll over. Is there anything I could be missing. Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated. Danke!:)

there should be 4 stages - up, over, down, hit
up is what the button normally looks like
over is the rollover bit, give the button a differnet shape here
down is the bit after the press
hit is the area where the button can be pressed

got to actionscripts.org or flashkit.com for loads of tutes

mrfluffy is right on track Lessthanmighty.

I'm just guessing but I would think your error is more than likely in the last stage, the Hit stage.

Very often forgotten, and often misunderstood.

What ever is in the hit key frame will NOT be displayed ever. It is simply an area of space defined to be "hot" and cause the arrow to turn into a pointing finger from the arrow.

I like to use a box that's over sized to the button that I am making. For example, if your button is really text like "Click Here!" and you want "Click Here!" to change color on a rollover go into the button edit mode and you should see the following:

- Insert a keyframe in the "up" frame
- Type "Click Here!" in Black
- Insert a keyframe in the "over" frame
- Change the color of "Click Here!" to Red
- Insert a keyframe in the "down" frame
- Change the color of "Click Here!" to Green
- Insert a keyframe in the "Hit" frame
- The text "Click Here!" will be inserted, as when you created the other key frames, except, this time you don't really want it other than for a reference. If you leave the button as is, the user will have to move the mouse pointer until it is actually over a part of one of the letters. if they move the pointer just left of the "H" in "Here" the mouse will turn back to a pointer and they will not be able to click your button.

Instead, create a solid box that covers up the words "Click Here!" and is slightly larger than all the area of space it takes up.

- Finally exit the button and test. (Be sure to turn on "enable buttons" 'opt+command+b' to see it's effect)

If you still have questions, you can see what I'm talking about in the Flash file attached. I created a button using the instructions so you can see the final result.

If you have further Flash questions, feel free to contact me directly: evildan@mac.com

Attachments

• flashbuttons.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for the advise evildan and mrfluffy. I will take your advise and let you know what the outcome is. If there is anything anyone else would like to mention that would be great. :)

Back