Making MAIL behave - spam

Harvey

Registered
Hello everyone,.

I recently did some gmail integration blah blah, anyhow, now a lot of my GMAIL comes into my POP account as well, so MAIL picks it up.

However, with all this new Mail the Spam filter is make a lot of bad mistakes.

Is there anyway to create a white list, or quickly teach Mail that certain mails are NOT spam?

I have been deselecting spam in the normal way, but it's taking a long time to learn from it's ways.

Any help appreciated!

- Harvey

It seems weird that you are getting spam via Gmail. I think Gmail's automatic filters are good.

Here's an anecdote. My friend in Stuttgart was getting up 400 spams a week. Since he ran his email account through Gmail (whilst keeping his original address) he now has none. To date he is not aware of any genuine mails being missed.

There are simple instructions in Mail/Help/Discover/Organizing and Searching Mail/Dealing with Junk Mail/My junk mail filter isn't working.

318634122_a28740a57d.jpg

Beat this. My gmail inbox maybe a year ago. I don't even use gmail fox anything.. wonder why? I don't post the address in the net for any use, and I haven't particularly used that one even to subscribe to the annoyances that I can use hotmail for.

Harvey, I'd probably try to educate it with the spam rulers you make.
If it contains any attachment and sender is not in your addressbook > spam folder. This would eliminate all the annoying .gif and other spam graphics and viruses. You don't want to educate mail's spam filter

Or if you know what content are not spam, create the rules for the content, the rest in 'maybe' folder where the rest goes to educating the filters.

Safe list : everything in your addressbook. That could work. Yet there are occasionally these spams that have your own address as sender...
If something is annoying to need a rule, then create a rule.

Or find a way to integrate spamassassin with mail client.

However, with all this new Mail the Spam filter is make a lot of bad mistakes.

Is there anyway to create a white list, or quickly teach Mail that certain mails are NOT spam?

Far and away, I find that Mail's junk mail filter is the best available. The fact that I can examine Mail's junk mail folder at any time has saved my bacon on a number of occasions. The competition's method has nearly fried my bacon more times than I like to remember.

It takes about two weeks to train Mail to properly handle new types of spam. The more mail you receive, the faster you will reach the point where the spam filter accurately distinguishes junk from treasure.

Pet peeve: I notice that more and more legitimate businesses are making their messages look like spam--both in content and in the way that the messages are addressed.

318634122_a28740a57d.jpg

Beat this.
My point is that Gmail's spam filter is good at detecting spam. I wasn't suggesting none would arrive. However, I believe Gmail is good at accurately sorting out genuine mails from spam messages.

I long gave up checking my spam folder with my Gmail account, as I was never finding genuine mails accidently put into this folder. My friend in Stuttgart found the same.

Actually Rhisiart .. that wasn't the shot after just logging in.
So there were "a few" in the inbox too before the shot. At least the education of the spam filter works quite well...

Is there a way to train MAIL's spam filter, other than just marking and unmarking things as Spam?

Is there a way to tweak the rules, or make a white list or something?

Back