Making My Mac Wireless -Help!

Akitarent

Registered
I have a Mac and also my brother has a PC. I want to make them both Wireless. I know for a PC you can buy a Wireless card (usb). All the wireless cards I looked at are only for PC's. Are there any made for Apples/Mac?

My Mac is an OS X Version 10.4.11 and my PC is running on Windows 98.

I do not know anything about turning my computers wireless. Will the same router for a PC work for a Mac or do I need to get two. Also on the apple.com website they have "Airport" items. Would any of those be my best bet in making my Mac and PC Wireless at the same time?

Thanks. I'm in the dark

It's highly possible that your Mac already has bluetooth and/ or wifi built in. What machine are you using?

presuming you have bought a brand new mac, it will have a built in airport, that is like a wireless card, well it is.... you have your router plugged into your PC through Ethernet, setup the wireless on the PC and go into internet connect on the mac finder>applications>internet connect, find the name of your router, for example if you have a linksys router, it is a high possibility that your router is called Linksys so connect to that, it may require a password if you have set one, if not proceed if you have a password - enter it, now open up safari and test it! =-P hope i helped

I don't think Leopard has the program Internet Connect anymore. If you really have a new Mac with Leopard, you get free phone support for a while: call Apple at 800-APL-CARE and they will walk you through it.

But next time you post a message, please tell us what machine you are using and please get the OS correct.

There is one USB wireless device made by an independent company which you can find all over EEBAE. The manufacturer does also have a website. Do not call Linksys and ask if they have OSX Drivers they will treat you like you ride the short bus. But I highly recommend finding out if you have an airport slot and installing an airport card.

As was asked previously, give us the model of the Mac you have and we can tell you better. You can also check in System Profiler by going to the Apple menu at the top left and selecting About This Mac. Then click on the More Info button and it should launch System Profiler. You should find everything about your Mac, including wireless and Bluetooth, in that application.

Back