Making OS X 10.1 upgrade CD stand-alone

DominikHoffmann

Registered
Originally posted by theory in a separate post:
I forgot to tell you. If you want the fastest way to get up and running is to install 10.1 directly, to do this you will have to make an exact disk image of the cd (use dito, don't use disk copy it wont let you), find a program called "Check mac os x" or something delete it, burn your disk image. and install from there it will act as if it wasn't an upgrade cd and wont check for older version of os x.

You mean the command "ditto" from the command line, right? Do you just copy the files to their own folder and then burn the contents of that folder onto a CD-R? I guess, my question is, how, exactly, do you do this?

Also, with a Toast image of the CD ROM I didn't find anything that qualified for "Check Mac OS X" or similar.

Dominik

DominikHoffmann: I believe you can find the name of the file you are seeking somewhere on the web – I'm sure the name is out there. I don't wish to divulge the name in case Apple decides to haul my butt off to court (which I don't think will happen, but just in case).

Basically what you do is you make a readable and writable disk image of the update CD using Disk Copy. Then you remove the specific file that checks if you have 10.0 installed (since it's a writable disk image), and then you use Disk Copy to reburn the CD using the image. This way, it is bootable, but is a full Mac OS X install CD.

(HINT: That name you found is the wrong name, but it is close. Search on the web and I'm sure you can find it.)

Sorry, this isn't much help, but I found directions out on the web somewhere (just use Google-- you're bound to find it).

I forget where I got directions and how to do it, but it worked. Just so you know it's possible. :)

I can't tell you, but it should be pretty obvious from my first post and from the stuff described on that first search result.

Back