Making the Switch

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
I am new to the Mac community... Right now I am still using my PC but... tomorrow 11-25-02... I am taking a course in Mac OS X... plus I might buy tomorrow night the Dual 867mhz Power Mac... I am excited... about it...

but I have a few questions for OS X users...

1. Since I do not have any OS 9 software I am thinking of reformating the MAC in the UFS state... I want to keep all my new programs OS X compliant... (Any views are welcomed on this matter.)

2. The package deal I am getting comes with Office X for $200 so I am a happy camper.. Any views on Office X...

3. Should I get Symantec System Works 2.0 for the Mac?

I plan on officially making the switch on the 26th of this month...

Thanks.
Sirtovin

I would suggest sticking with the HFS+ filesystem. If you go UFS, you will (as i understand it) only be able to run the Cocoa apps and none of the Carbon apps. So far I have not seen any good argument on going with a UFS file system.

1. Bad idea. UFS is mainly for OS X Server and a select few apps. If you format UFS, your system will take a huge performance hit and many OS X apps may not even run. I don't even know why its an option. Apple doesn't even recommend using it. HFS+ is the optimum FS for OS X.

2. Office X is awesome and for $200 its an amazing deal.

3. Up to you. I personally feel its a waste of money.

Originally posted by itanium
1. Bad idea. UFS is mainly for OS X Server and a select few apps. If you format UFS, your system will take a huge performance hit and many OS X apps may not even run. I don't even know why its an option. Apple doesn't even recommend using it. HFS+ is the optimum FS for OS X.

2. Office X is awesome and for $200 its an amazing deal.

3. Up to you. I personally feel its a waste of money.

What would you recommend for 3? as a good program for catching virus for OS X? and hard drive stuff?

Originally posted by holmBrew
I would suggest sticking with the HFS+ filesystem. If you go UFS, you will (as i understand it) only be able to run the Cocoa apps and none of the Carbon apps. So far I have not seen any good argument on going with a UFS file system.

Ok cool :)

Originally posted by Sirtovin
What would you recommend for 3? as a good program for catching virus for OS X? and hard drive stuff?

OS X is not prone to viruses. I don't know of any that exist. OS X 10.2.2 comes with FS Journaling. This should protect your HD from data corruption.

Originally posted by itanium
OS X is not prone to viruses. I don't know of any that exist. OS X 10.2.2 comes with FS Journaling. This should protect your HD from data corruption.

What is FS journaling? can you send me a link please?

1. i agree with itanium. bad idea in general. it runs slow on UFS from all reports. but some people who are really into linux reccomend having a UFS partition for 'nix apps. i don't understand this, but there are threads on the site about it.
2. whatever. it's m$. i'm sure you know if you need it or not. apple's own appleworks is pretty nice for a lot less. i'm not going ot preach, but you'll never see me recomend any m$ product either.
3. NO ! NO ! NO! norton is as likely to screw things up as it is fix them. i could go on and on about this and have elsewhere. we have much better tools than norton for macs. Drive 10 from www.micromat.com is the only one that is currently os x native. but techtool pro (also from micromat) and DiskWarrior with Plus Optimizer from www.alsoft.com both fix os x but have to boot from os 9. DW/PO is supposed to come out for os x at some point but who knows when that will be. still, DW/PO is the best overall in many users opinions, including mine. bottom line - symantec's norton is the worse solution.

a few tips - poke around the site a bit. lots has already been writtten on these and other things it probably wouldn't hurt to know. feel free to ask for help with any transitional issues you have after doing so. just don't complain because something "should be more like windows". :D

good luck and hopefully we'll be officially welcoming you to the mac using community soon. :)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
1. i agree with itanium. bad idea in general. it runs slow on UFS from all reports. but some people who are really into linux reccomend having a UFS partition for 'nix apps. i don't understand this, but there are threads on the site about it.
2. whatever. it's m$. i'm sure you know if you need it or not. apple's own appleworks is pretty nice for a lot less. i'm not going ot preach, but you'll never see me recomend any m$ product either.
3. NO ! NO ! NO! norton is as likely to screw things up as it is fix them. i could go on and on about this and have elsewhere. we have much better tools than norton for macs. Drive 10 from www.micromat.com is the only one that is currently os x native. but techtool pro (also from micromat) and DiskWarrior with Plus Optimizer from www.alsoft.com both fix os x but have to boot from os 9. DW/PO is supposed to come out for os x at some point but who knows when that will be. still, DW/PO is the best overall in many users opinions, including mine. bottom line - symantec's norton is the worse solution.

a few tips - poke around the site a bit. lots has already been writtten on these and other things it probably wouldn't hurt to know. feel free to ask for help with any transitional issues you have after doing so. just don't complain because something "should be more like windows". :D

good luck and hopefully we'll be officially welcoming you to the mac using community soon. :)

Cool... Is all I can say... I am excited... tomorrow i take my class and after I might buy the Dual 867Mhz... I am excited.

Originally posted by Sirtovin
What is FS journaling? can you send me a link please?

File System Journaling keeps track of file system changes then compares its records with your hard drive every time you reboot. If something isn't in sync, it'll correct it. This minimizes your chances of file corruption.

http://mac.fryke.com has information about the new FS Journaling in OS X 10.2.2. Go there and search for "Journaling", you should find several articles about it.

Good luck as a switcher.

Back