"Man" pages/command not working in Terminal Window

mickey79

True Defiance
Ave,

Suddenly, out of the blue, the "man" command in my Terminal Window has stopped retrieving any results. For any command i try to 'man', it gives me:
no manual entry for <command>
Even "man man" gives me the same.

I have no clue what happened! And how to fix it!

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

type env and see what your MANPATH is. I may be wrong, but I assume something has changed with your profile to not load in this variable.

type env and see what your MANPATH is. I may be wrong, but I assume something has changed with your profile to not load in this variable.

Ave,

Thanks for the post.
env gives the following:

TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=vt100
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=100.1.8
OLDPWD=/Users/rjohari
USER=rjohari
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F6:0:0
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
PWD=/
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/rjohari
SECURITYSESSIONID=211f40
DAZSTUDIO=/Applications/DAZStudio
_=/usr/bin/env

It doesn't say anything about MANPATH. Do you think that is the problem?

yes. You should have a .profile and/or .bashrc (if using bash) to modify. A quick google for os x and manpath gave some examples of settings. Alternatively you could do a "find /usr -name man" to see where they are.

yes. You should have a .profile and/or .bashrc (if using bash) to modify. A quick google for os x and manpath gave some examples of settings. Alternatively you could do a "find /usr -name man" to see where they are.

Ave,

Using the find command, i was able to locate man folders...

/usr/bin/man
/usr/local/share/man
/usr/man
/usr/share/man

As i'm using bash in my Terminal window, i tried setting MANPATH using export, like this:

export MANPATH=/usr/man

I tried this with each of the above found location, and after each try, i would try to use the man command. But each time it gives the same thing. "no manual entry found for <command>". I also checked using env if the MANPATH was being set, and it was.

I located the .profile and .bashrc in my /etc folder. Niether of them refer to MANPATH, and these are their contents...

.bashrc

# System-wide .bashrc file for interactive bash(1) shells.
PS1='\h:\w \u\$ '
# Make bash check it's window size after a process completes
shopt -s checkwinsize

.profile

# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

[ -r /etc/bashrc ] && source /etc/bashrc

Not sure where to go from here. Advice?

1. try

MANPATH=/usr/share/man
export MANPATH

I've seen where "export MANPATH /usr/share/man" wouldn't work (though I think it was with tcsh....)

2. add

MANPATH=/usr/share/man
export MANPATH

right in the .bashrc should do.

Back