managing power management

Anthony

Registered
greetings, I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions or tips/scripts/tools/etc for managing the power management settings of a group of computers - a mix of g5 & intel, all running 10.4.x, 10.3 server. specifically, to control the time to sleep, and a wake schedule.

i've recently "inherited" this environment and unfortunately, everyone is currently using local accounts to log in to their machines, and not their open directory accounts (though they exist for e-mail purposes). i realize workgroup manager would allow me to manage power preferences quite easily... but at the moment it's not an option; i want to eventually migrate everyone to logging on with their OD accounts so i can manage their machines, but that's a project for down the road some yet...

so, any alternative ideas would be appreciated. i think a schedule to wake the computers each morning is easily enough achieved through scripting some wake-on-lan packets on a cron schedule, though if its been done i'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel! i'm at a loss for managing the sleep settings without wgm though.

thanks in advance.

Back