Many different problems

hinotoxin

Registered
Okay recently I've been having some strange problems.

I made the topic on my .dmgs not being able to mount, it still happens sometimes but if I unplug everything in the USB ports and log out and back in, it works.

Other things that have been happening are:

Disc drive will not eject, either with iTunes or the eject key on the keyboard.

My friend's mp3 player when plugged in (USB) does not appear on the desktop like it usually does.

I had over 32GB of space a few nights ago, and yesterday when I switched on my computer it said I only had 17GB. And now it says 16.54GB..

The computer will not go to sleep. When I try to put it to sleep, the screen goes blank but doesn't sleep, then when I click the mouse or press keys nothing happens and I just have to turn it off.

I downloaded MacScan from their site to see if there was spyware or something on it, but it won't even open.

A few times when I emptied the trash, the space went down instead of up.

I'm also confused with the user accounts, I made a thread about it here: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245818

I know this is a lot of stuff, but even if anyone could tell me what they think might be wrong, that would be great. I tried logging into my mother's account but the problems still seem to exist.

This reply centers strictly on the sentence 'I downloaded MacScan from their site to see if there was spyware or something on it, but it won't even open.'

Let me see, you downloaded 'MacScanBeta.dmg' from securemac's download web page. An application that is still in beta, since its 14 December 2002 release.

Where securemac's about page states the following ...

"Tried, tested and true - MacScan is the only intuitive program available that protects your Macintosh against spyware.

Our goal for MacScan is to answer all the needs of Mac users out there ensuring them security from these high risk programs."

... and their 'Spyware list' web page (after 3 and a half years) still does not list even one specific spyware, keystroke logger, or 'remote administration' application that MacScan explicitly removes?

Based on your post today (above) and past 'hinotoxin' macosx.com posts - it may be in your best interest for you take your Mac to a respectable Mac repair center or consultant. Also, if you are concerned about your friends mp3 player being recognized by your Mac, bring that to who ever looks at your Mac as well.

[Added 17.59 EDST:
Somehow my reply did not included the added URL links. They are now included above.]

barhar said:
This reply centers strictly on the sentence 'I downloaded MacScan from their site to see if there was spyware or something on it, but it won't even open.'

Let me see, you downloaded 'MacScanBeta.dmg' from securemac's download web page. An application that is still in beta, since its 14 December 2002 release.

"Where securemac's about page states the following ...

Tried, tested and true - MacScan is the only intuitive program available that protects your Macintosh against spyware.

Our goal for MacScan is to answer all the needs of Mac users out there ensuring them security from these high risk programs."

... and their 'Spyware list' web page (after 3 and a half years) still does not list even one specific spyware, keystroke logger, or 'remote administration' application that MacScan explicitly removes?

Based on your post today (above) and past 'hinotoxin' macosx.com posts - it may be in your best interest for you take your Mac to a respectable Mac repair center or consultant. Also, if you are concerned about your friends mp3 player being recognized by your Mac, bring that to who ever looks at your Mac as well.

Ahh I didn't realise the program was that old.
Thank you, yes I plan on contacting someone in my city about it and taking it to them if I need to, I just wanted to check here first.

Thanks again.

Back