Mathematica Preview no good on 10.1

bjd14

Registered
i've been using a preview version of mathematica 4.1 for the last couple of months. unfortunately it's no longer working now that i've upgraded to 10.1.

this REALLY sucks because i can't seem to open up the OSX made notebooks in other versions of Mac Mathematica.

rharder

Do not read this sign.
Bummer. How'd you get the preview of Mathematica? I loved that program in college.

-Rob

bjd14

Registered
i work at columbia univ. and they effectively have a site liscense for the whole university! so in exchange for what must be a massive ammount of money, wolfram gives us some special treats.

is it easy to uninstall 10.1 and go back to 10.0.4? i imagine all i have to do is pop the old cd in and install over top of 10.1... this is the only thing i know to do in order to get mathematica for X working again until they release the 10.1 version.

rharder

Do not read this sign.
I'd be kinda surprised if you could just install 10.0 over 10.1 and have no problems, but you never know...

I wonder if Microsoft consulted Wolfram about how to do their licensing for XP: they're both the most frustrating licensing systems.

Even worse, with the number of times Win 98 crashed on me and I had to redo Mathematica, I'd hate to think what the poor people dealing with XP have to look forward to.

-Rob

themacko

Barking at the moon.
hehe .. i remember the days long ago (actually, only about 4 semesters ago) when I'd be chugging along at 11:00 PM in Mathematica 3.0 on Windows NT 4 (on a Pentium I 133mhz w/ 64 mb ram no less...) in the campus computing commons. Those were the times, I was a Mathematica GOD. rofl ... then we switched to MatLAB. What a bummer. :rolleyes: