Mathematica to come to OS X

esc

Registered
Mathematica is one of the most important symbolic algebra progams in the scientific world and Wolfram Research announced a OS X port today. They didn't say when, although years ago there was a NeXT version and a Mac version currently exists. This is very good news for OS X in universities and R&D companies.

Earlier in the week I chatted with someone at Waterloo where Maple, a competing program, originates. They indicated that they are seriously looking at an OS X version (Maple is more important than Mathematica in some fields)

This may be something of a niche, but it is an important niche.

Yeah, I'm getting a trial version of Mathematica for OS X shortly... it has some known bugs but should be done by the summer according to them.

I am having problems getting certain notebooks to open in mathematica. These notebooks have the right extensions (.nb) and are definitely mathematica notebooks, but for some reason don't open under any version of mathematica now. It's like OSX sterilized them or changed a header field or something and now mathematica won't open then no matter what i do.

When I tell OS X to use mathematica to open them, a new notebook appears, but it is always balnk and is untitled, like it started to open the nb but then bailed out halfway through.

Ben

Ben,

Is Wolfram having a beta testing program? Is that how you're getting a trial version? I'd love to participate.

Of course it goes without saying that I hope Wolfram invests in optimizing their code for the AltiVec instructions.

-Rob

Yeah, they have a beta testing progam. You can try contacting customer support and convincing them that you're a developer and it would be in there best interest to give you a beta. I get it because my University is a big Wolfram customer and so they treat us extra special. ;)

Wolfram is nothing short of amazing in their efforts to port Mathematica to many different platforfs!

Ben

Originally posted by rharder
Ben

Is Wolfram having a beta testing program? Is that how you're getting a trial version? I'd love to participate.

Of course it goes without saying that I hope Wolfram invests in optimizing their code for the AltiVec instructions.

-Rob

I think I'd have a hard time talking them into it.

After I bought my student version of 4 last year I was bummed when it stopped working after redoing my hard drive (after graduation), and I was no longer eligible for the student version, so I couldn't get a new code for it.

Oh how I loved that program. Most of my classmates were using MathCad--another good program--but it was nothing like Mathematica, the Grand Daddy of math software.

-Rob

Back