max number of user accounts allowed

ucflow

Registered
What is the maximum number of user accounts allowed for Tiger? I have a group of users that I need to track how much time each individual is on the computer, and cannot find any other software but LoginManager, which uses the OS account authentication and time stamps. I can have anywhere between 25 and 200 accounts that I may need to set up.

Thanks!

According to page 38 of the NetInfo Manager documentation, the maximum number of user accounts which can be created in System Preferences is 2,147,483,147. This number is obtained by subtracting the positive UIDs which you won't get(anything below 501) from the highest possible UID. If you edit UIDs in the NetInfo Manager, you can add another 400 accounts.

Of course, your Disk Space will be a determining factor.

Thanks bob.

Any idea how much disk space each user takes up (perhaps alotting them an extra 2GB of space for file saving)?

thanks again.

There is however a limit to the number of connections you can have at one time. For OS X Tiger client, I believe there is a limit of ten unique users that can be logged in at once.

For Tiger Server, there is the ten user version which allows ten unique users but unlimited numbers _of_ those users, and of course the $1k unlimited version.

I think.

Back