Max RAM in a powerbook G3 (firewire/pismo)?

halox

Registered
I heard the max amount of RAM my powerbook can have is 512MB...right now I have a 256MB stick in each slot, so I'm at 512. Assuming someone makes 512MB sticks for it, couldn't I use two of those for 1024MB? or would it simply not recognize the extra ram?

You should be able but your going to need a PC100 SO DIMM. PC133 memory may give you bus speed errors or crash your machine...

You'd be wasting your money if you got any more...you heard right about the 512 megs of maximum RAM. As far as I know you can't "fool" the pismo into recognizing a gig of RAM

I've got 384Mb in a Wallstreet series 2 which has a max memory of 192Mb. Eventually I'll probably get 512. The only thing was that I had to pay more to get 66MHz RAM because the cheaper (PC100) stuff which should have worked according to lots of people, didn't.

The original limit was set because there were no low-profile 128MB modules for the bottom slot so they had a big 128 in the top and a low profile 64 in the bottom. I now have a low profile 256 in the bottom.

If you can find the right type of memory, my initial thought would be that you could get away with it. These things are not always so simple tho. If it is possible, somebody's going to have done it and no doubt, written about it online somewhere, so keep an eye out for articles/threads!

hmm..what exactly is 'low-profile'? both my ram slots seem to take the same size ram (short, about 1/2 length of normal ram)..does your machine take to differnt size ram ?

The top slot in the G3 Powerbooks can take high profile stuff - basically like a normal piece, but twice the height from the days when they couldn't make the chips small enough. If you look on OWC for Powerbook RAM you can get two versions, the high profile being slightly cheaper. I don't think you can fit them in the iBooks cos they'd figured out how to make them small by the time they came along.

The Pismo, if that's what you have, can in fact accept up to 1GB RAM-- 1 512MB in the lower slot, another in the top slot. Just make sure you get the right RAM.

I know this for a fact because I owned two of them and both had 1GB of RAM.

ok cool. what kind of specs should I look for in RAM to be sure it will work? any suggestions where to get it?

thanx for all the responses.

Call DMS (datamem.com)-- tell them what you need and they'll get it for you.

They almost always have close to the bottom prices, but they always have great customer service.

Good luck.

Back