Maybe I'm just overcomplicating things....

toygasm4u

Registered
...I work in a place that revolves around a windows network. All of our workstations have server access, including the laptops, which connect to various drives on the network via the wireless routers placed around the building.

I want that too!!!

I have an extensive project that lives on the server, and would like to connect to that server with all it's different drive letters, so I can take some of this work home with me. I would prefer to do this via the airport connection. We're talking a couple of gigs worth of data that I need to be able to manipulate, and a jump drive just gets to be a hassle; just as much as a portable hard drive. I just wanna connect and go!

I think the more I read, the more I get mixed up in the terminology.

Help Me. lol
I is stupid.

Launch the Directory Access utility. Under the Services tab, enable SMB/CIFS. You also ought to enable Active Directory and LDAPv3. Click on the Network icon in the Finder window sidebar. You will see numerous Windows network volumes. In Windows, you would be able to map these volumes to drive letters. The Mac does not have drive letters. You simply access a remote volume like a second drive.

I enabled those features.. but nothing shows up on the network pane. Do I have to configure some of this stuff?

Nothing? When I click on the Finder's Network sidebar icon, I see ~/My Network/, Servers, and ~/Workgroup/--and I have no Windows computers here. How is it that you see nothing?

Ok, I re-enabled the afore mentioned features in directory access, and now I see a "my network" folder, and a "workgroup" folder. I also have an alias for "servers" and "library". Don't know what I did different this time around... anyway....

So now what? I don't see anything that resembles the server that I'm looking for. Is it possible that I need to manually edit the network address or something?

I think we need to back up a bit here. First of all, SMB/CIFS should be all you need to access a Windows shared volume - enabling Active Directory and LDAPv3 isn't necessary. Second, are you sure your Airport connection is communicating properly with your workplace's wireless access points? Which is to say, can you get an Internet connection out? Also, are the Windows shared volumes public or hidden? If they're hidden they still wouldn't show up when you browse via the Network icon - you'd have to do a command-K and connect to them via the server IP/name and exact name of the shared volume. But with SMB enabled and Airport working, I can't think of of a reason that this wouldn't work. (I'm sure there are plenty, but it's late and I'm optimistic.)

Back