Maybe PC's are Good for something

My [little] brother is a bit of a 'gamer,' he plays Counterstrike a lot. Anyhoo, his Athlon runs so hot that ihe has to keep the side of his computer case open or the whole thing will crash. It's not even overclocked!

I personally don't understand it all, but I keep telling him it's ridicules.

It's one thing to talk if you can back it up, but I don't see it from macs. Their processors don't come close to the performance of Intel and AMD.

To Jacko:
Your little brother's Athlon machine obviously doesn't have enough fans in it. You do need fans to keep those chips cool.

I just bought an iBook last month to go along with my wifes Athlon PC and my Intel PC at home. They all serve their purpose.

I always thought Apple made 'cool' hardware but never liked their crappy OS's. I didn't like Windows either, so I was an OS/2 guy before I switched to Linux. I bought my iBook because I heard that OS X was nice. And it is. But now, Apple needs to get off its butt and build some decent hardware. I've got to be honest. The iBook looks good but its slow as hell. If you haven't used PC's then you don't notice how slow your mac's are. I really think they need to either get the PowerPC chips up to speed or consider dropping them for AMD's 64-bit processor thats in development.

It's one thing to talk if you can back it up, but I don't see it from macs. Their processors don't come close to the performance of Intel and AMD.

har har har :p
hilarious comment mattiiieee :p

Everyone please help me... I've been robbed!!!!!!! I opened my mac and only found one fan blowing air out of my system and one fan blowing air out of the power supply!!!!

How can this be!

I look at my PeeCee next to the mac and sure enough all the fans are still there (1 in the front to cool the hard drives, 1 in the rear to pull heat out of the chassis, 1 for the CPU, 1 for the power supply, 1 for the graphics card (5 total fans in the PeeCee, 2 total for the Mac).

Apple must have made a mistake!!! I want a rebate for the lack of Fans!!!:p

Seriously though.. I can cool the house down with my PeeCee. My Mac can not do that!!!

[Bash, kick, pow, slap] Who's your daddy PeeCee? Answer Me!:D

ahh crap.. mine are completely gone.. there are no fans in my imac.. i thought it was jus mine so i called and apparently there was a big flop at apple, the Rep that i got in contact with gave me instructions... if you own a macintosh you should call all your friends with a PC and laugh at them

Originally posted by jocknerd
They may not come close performance wise when it comes to Mega-Hertz, it's what the G4's can do per cycle, if a G4 do 2 instructions per cycle to a PC's one, the G4 is twice as fast, so you only need a 500MHz G4 to compete with a 1GHz PC.

The backup: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Originally posted by jocknerd
If you haven't used PC's then you don't notice how slow your mac's are. I really think they need to either get the PowerPC chips up to speed or consider dropping them for AMD's 64-bit processor thats in development.

I have used PCs for a long time, and found the transition to Mac to improve my productivity, and that's what it's all about.

This wasn't ment to start another Mac-PC brawl. I just thought frying an egg on a PC was funny!

I'm a Mac user, it's in my nature to stick up for the 5% minority :rolleyes:

Originally posted by OzBert
This wasn't ment to start another Mac-PC brawl. I just thought frying an egg on a PC was funny!

I'm a Mac user, it's in my nature to stick up for the 5% minority :rolleyes:
OK, I can see that now -- I've been looking at too many Mac-PC brawls recently, I guess I see them everywhere...

I've been using both Macs and PCs for a LONG time.. about 11 years on PCs and about 6 on Macs. I still use both, but find the Mac to be way more productive for what I'm doing. As for speed wise, this has been discussed at other forums, but you don't need a 2.5ghz AMD Athlon chip to do basic tasks, the only reason to get a machine with that much power is if you play games or do a lot of video/3d rendering which I do not. The Mac vs. PC thing is old, let's just sit back relax, crack open a thing of beers and use what works for you without bashing someone else's view. :D

A 500Mhz G3 is noplace near the speed of an Athlon 1Ghz, sorry guys. Not even close. I've got an Athlon sitting next to the P4 1.6 I'm writing this one now, and not only does it smoke my iBook, but it's barely slower than my P4. Just as the G4 is better than the G3, AMD is better than Intel, and Intel and G4 are ... well. Competitive in some areas.

But I gave up anti-Mac zealotry when OS X came out. I use the right tool for the right job.

Back