MBP 15" with 17" features ... when will it happen?

sneyders

Registered
Maybe starting a petition will help ...

I am waiting for Apple to upgrade the 15" MBP to the level of the 17". I am not talking about processor, I know they recently did this.

What I am talking about is Firewire 800 and the dual layer superdrive. If I match up the 15" and the 17" with what's available (just the HD) I see a $200 difference. For me the Firewire 800 and the new superdrive would be worth it, but the 17" is just to big.

Do you think it will happen (soon)? Honestly, I am waiting for it and I would like to move from my terrible Dell Latitude D600 from work to the new MBP. My wife is using the Powerbook G4 now and she won't give it up. ;-)

I have been wondering about this myself. At least if they would make the mid-grade 15" MacBook Pro with the features of the 17" without the screen size, it would be a better option for those that don't desire the 17" screen. Then leave the FW-400 ports for the low end MBP.

Well I know that the dual-layer DVD±RW drive wasn't used because the 15" MBP is thinner than the 17", so much so that a dual layer burner doesn't fit in it.

As for the rest, well, Apple are known for their quirky ways of putting lines together. I'm hoping for the next generation of MBP (which I hope will be sometime in the next few months) to have vast improvements, not only feature wise, but also build quality wise.

They're both one inch, but the 17" model has a bit more depth between the front edge and the keyboard. I've heard the thickness thing before, but supposedly it was misrepresented or mistook. The depth was an issue maybe. Then again, there's been a few months for them to make changes to the design of the drives...so that could also be the reason for it being in the 17" model.

I wouldn't buy a MacBook until it has more than one FW port (preferable including at least one FW800, or all FW800—2+). USB2 is way too finicky for good transfers of things like DV footage and the likes.

Has there ever been a Powerbook with 2 FireWire 400 ports? If yes, then I find it extremely strange that Apple would drop one. I mean I'd really like the next model to have two, mainly because I'd like to be able to capture DV footage and have a FireWire disk mounted at the same time.

Yes, the Alu PowerBook G4 (15 and 17" models at least) had both a FW400 and a FW800 port. But only one of each. But even with only one FW400 port, you can still attach the drive to the Mac and the DV-Cam to the second port on the drive. Usually, FireWire drives (maybe not the 2.5" versions, but those aren't the best for DV anyway...) have more than one FW port.

Back