MBP not loading with os x on internal harddrive, works fine with external os x

XplosionInTheTy

Registered
Ok so here's what happened:

last night finder froze in the middle of working. firefox continued to work perfectly, but i could not click anything on the desktop or finder menu (color wheel as cursor during finder, regular cursor for firefox).

i shut down by holding the power button for 10 seconds and when i rebooted i got past the gray screen with the apple logo, but after that the screen keep switching from a bluish/gray screen with the same loading circle as the apple gray screen, and a bright blue screen with nothing on it. this continued for around 15 minutes before i shut down again by holding the power button.

i then tried to reboot in safe mode but it didn't work. next i inserted the startup dvd and ran disk utility on the hd and it reported no errors. i tried to restart from using the internal hd again but the same screens appeared so i shut down again via power button.

next i started it up again with the dvd and restored the mac internal hd to my external hd (western digital my passport 320 gb connected via firewire 400). after it finished i went back to the start up options and restarted using the os x on my external hd. the mac booted up perfectly and i have complete access to all my file.

i restarted while using my external hd to see if i could then run os x on my internal one, but the original screens happened again.

i shut down and rebooted again using the external os x and it works perfectly still.

i went back to disk utility to see if i could restore the external hd to the internal one but it failed. i then tried to simply drag the os x folders from the external hd to the internal on, but it said i did not have the appropriate privileges (even though i am the only user on the mac).

basically what i want to know is how do i get os x working on my internal hd again and how do i move the os x files from my external hd to the internal one so i can start the mac and run programs without the external hd attached.

specs:
macbook pro 15 inch
2.4 ghz core 2 duo
4 gb ram (apple factory installed)
250 gb serial ata @ 5400 rpm
running leopard 10.5.5

thank you to anyone that reads this and can help. sorry for the long post

Sounds like either the hard drive is failing and you need to replace it or OS X is so screwed up you will have to wipe and reinstall.

Sorry for the bad news and no software trickery will fix broken hardware.

Back