mdd hard drives

shelbydodgeimp

Registered
I have a dual 1.42ghz firewire800 mirror drive door g4 Powermac.

I am getting low on hard drive space (my work involves alot of large multimedia files) and am curious what the maximum hard drive capacity is for macs with 48bit addressing.

I currently have two 120GB hard drives on the ATA100 bus, and one 250gb on the ata66 bus, with a normal 48x cdrom and a superdrive on the ata33 bus (why did apple use ata33 in the days of 2003??).

I was wondering if I could throw a 500gb or larger in the ata66 bus, or better yet- replace my boot drive with the large drive and move the boot drive (one of the 120gb ata100s) onto the ata66 bus. I dont want to have to do a fresh OS install however, how hard would it be to "clone" my boot drive onto the larger drive (without particianing it)?

The MDD supports larger drives on the ATA-100 bus. You should be able to use any size.
The ATA-66 will only support drives up to 128GB.

You can use SuperDuper to clone your drive.

Doubtfull you have an ATA-66 bus using a 250GB drive on it, and the full drive being recognized.

Mac OS 10.4 disagrees:

Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

Unless you are saying that although it claims 7xgb is available, it wont actually let me put that much on the drive?

Those bus's in apple system profiler do not appear to be in any order-

As it lists ata66 first, then ata33 (optical drives), then ata100.

At least, assuming 1) that the MB is labled correctly when I put the drives in and, 2) ata66 being the front HD carrier under the optical drives (with ATA100 being the rear most carrier by the CPU heat sink)

Yes, they are in order. The fastest bus is listed first (ATA-100), in your machine.

Your system specs show it has only two Hard Drive ATA Bus's, ATA/66 and ATA/100.

One Optical drive bus - ATA-3

Also, FYI according to the faq here:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=246391

In 2002, Apple adopted a newer IDE controller with the QuickSilver '2002' model that made use of 48-bit addressing, thus alleviating the 128GB barrier and allowing the use of IDE drives in excess of 250GBs+. If you own one of the following Power Macintosh models, you're free to roam the storage prairie with no restraints;

Power Macintosh G4 - QuickSilver '2002' (800MHz, 933MHz, Dual 1GHz)
Power Macintosh G4 - MDD '2002' (Dual 867MHz, Dual 1GHz, Dual 1.25GHz)
Power Macintosh G4 - MDD '2003' (Single 1GHz, Dual 1.25GHz, Dual 1.42GHz)

One common misconception is that ATA-100 or ATA-133 are necessary for large drive support. This is untrue. It just so happens that ATA-100/133 became prevalent at the same time as 48-bit LBA. Thus, pretty much all ATA-100/133 controllers have large drive support, but they are not one and the same.

The QuickSilver '2002' model featured an ATA-66 controller in conjunction with 48-bit addressing, and thus is capable of using large drives. The same goes for the secondary ATA-66 controller in MDD machines, which is also capable of supporting large drives.

Back