Me a Very Happy Camino User!

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Welp, got my secondary browser. After much research (and I thank everyone on this board who helped me and offered their input on browsers, etc.), and after downloading Firefox and trashing it after 15 minutes, I decided to give Camino a shot. As it turns out, I'm liking my secondary browser even better than my original. Don't get me wrong, Safari is great and all, but Camino simply ROCKS. Wow ... and I thought Safari was fast! With Camino, I don't even SEE a progress bar when Web pages download, it's so frickin' fast, I click on something and--wham!--it's there.

Camino developers, if you're out there and reading this, keep up the fantastic work. :)

I like Shiira a lot. For some reason it's java is really bad on my system... just not bad on other systems. Yet other browsers work fine.

I'm going to reinstall Tiger soon, I really want to use Shiira that much, lol.

I decided to give Camino another try after reading this. Been using it for a couple hours now. At first I was very pleased. They added simple, effective ad blocking, which was absent the last time I used it. It doesn't feel much snappier than Safari, but that's fine, since I don't have a problem with Safari. Unfortunately, it seems to have gone back a few steps in some very key areas. Namely, Mac-ish-ness. Am I crazy, or is Camino now Carbon rather than Cocoa? It sure doesn't feel like a Cocoa app. I can't even switch windows while it's rendering a web page, which is something you can do in all Cocoa apps.

And the text editing here is awful! Eep! I'm copying this into BBEdit to finish writing this post, because it's unbearable in Camino. It keeps flickering as I type, and it's sloooow, so much that the display lags a few words behind my typing.

And much like Firefox, it uses non-standard scrolling. Their scroll wheel support is by no means as bad as Firefox's, but it's still non-standard, so I can't tweak it to my liking with USB Overdrive. BIG bummer for me. It also seems to give a worse frame rate than Safari does when scrolling.

Once again I'm going to ultimately give Camino the thumbs-down. Every time I try it, it fails the test by just a liiiiittle bit, and every time it fails for different reasons. Odd. I'll definitely be checking out Shiira again, though.

Just tried Shiira, and like Safari has problems dealing with Javascript, i.e. one simple test is fading from one piture to another. It is unable to process in this case a fade, FireFox, IE, Mozilla and Camino, this is just a suggestion that there maybe other hidden issues. However the example I used is not that important by itself.

Having said that Shiira does look like a nice, light browser, and has the nice Safari interpretations of buttons and drop down lists etc. I may well use it.

Convert said:
I like Shiira a lot. For some reason it's java is really bad on my system... just not bad on other systems. Yet other browsers work fine.

I'm going to reinstall Tiger soon, I really want to use Shiira that much, lol.
LOL!!! I'm sorry, forgive me for digressing from the thread topic for a moment ... but I just HAD to comment on your avatar. That is SO cute! I didn't realize avatars were so expensive. :D

Mikuro said:
I decided to give Camino another try after reading this. Been using it for a couple hours now. At first I was very pleased. They added simple, effective ad blocking, which was absent the last time I used it. It doesn't feel much snappier than Safari, but that's fine, since I don't have a problem with Safari. Unfortunately, it seems to have gone back a few steps in some very key areas. Namely, Mac-ish-ness. Am I crazy, or is Camino now Carbon rather than Cocoa? It sure doesn't feel like a Cocoa app. I can't even switch windows while it's rendering a web page, which is something you can do in all Cocoa apps.

And the text editing here is awful! Eep! I'm copying this into BBEdit to finish writing this post, because it's unbearable in Camino. It keeps flickering as I type, and it's sloooow, so much that the display lags a few words behind my typing.

And much like Firefox, it uses non-standard scrolling. Their scroll wheel support is by no means as bad as Firefox's, but it's still non-standard, so I can't tweak it to my liking with USB Overdrive. BIG bummer for me. It also seems to give a worse frame rate than Safari does when scrolling.

Once again I'm going to ultimately give Camino the thumbs-down. Every time I try it, it fails the test by just a liiiiittle bit, and every time it fails for different reasons. Odd. I'll definitely be checking out Shiira again, though.
Wow. I don't know what you to tell you. Maybe Camino doesn't run as smoothly on your particular machine/OS? I have never had any of the problems that you mention above with Camino. Never.

Amie, 'Never' isn't such a long time for you with Camino :) (since Aug 20th)

Well, there are three different "current" versions floating around right now. 0.8, 0.9a2, and the latest nightly build. Maybe I'll try some of the others. Although nightly builds kind of scare me.....

Turns out the text-entry problem is only in 0.9a2. It works fine in 0.8.4. Unfortunately, there's no ad filter in 0.8.4. *sigh*

But wait, there's the nightly build! It has the ad filter, AND decent text entry. Nice! It's still Carbon-y, which sucks, but I can live without the Cocoa niceties like built-in spell checking and dictionary (although I really, really like those features).

Now if only it allowed me to specify a custom style sheet. The built-in ad blocking isn't all that great, but I could easily fix that with a style sheet. Of well. I'm pleased with this latest nightly build. Even the scroll wheel support seems pretty good. It's definitely replacing Firefox as my secondary browser. I'm still leaning towards Safari as my primary, but that's mainly because I can't live without some of the features offered by PithHelmet — namely, powerful filters and URL transformation (e.g., when I type "d word" into my address bar, it takes me to the dictionary.com entry for "word").

bobw said:
Amie, 'Never' isn't such a long time for you with Camino :) (since Aug 20th)
Bobw, you obviously have *no* clue as to the extent of my computer habits. At the rate I use it, since Aug. 20 is probably equivalent to a month for the average user. ;)

AND ... it's Aug. 25 now. Still no problems. :p

For the average user here, 'Never' isn't such a long time since Aug 20th, regardless of your computer habits.

Some of us probably sleep compute :)

Mikuro said:
Well, there are three different "current" versions floating around right now. 0.8, 0.9a2, and the latest nightly build. Maybe I'll try some of the others. Although nightly builds kind of scare me.....
I have v0.8.4, if that helps any...

Mikuro said:
Turns out the text-entry problem is only in 0.9a2. It works fine in 0.8.4. Unfortunately, there's no ad filter in 0.8.4. *sigh*

But wait, there's the nightly build! It has the ad filter, AND decent text entry. Nice! It's still Carbon-y, which sucks, but I can live without the Cocoa niceties like built-in spell checking and dictionary (although I really, really like those features).

Now if only it allowed me to specify a custom style sheet. The built-in ad blocking isn't all that great, but I could easily fix that with a style sheet. Of well. I'm pleased with this latest nightly build. Even the scroll wheel support seems pretty good. It's definitely replacing Firefox as my secondary browser. I'm still leaning towards Safari as my primary, but that's mainly because I can't live without some of the features offered by PithHelmet — namely, powerful filters and URL transformation (e.g., when I type "d word" into my address bar, it takes me to the dictionary.com entry for "word").
Ad filter? Are you referring to blocking pop-ups? If so, yes, there is such feature in v0.8.4. Go to Preferences, then click Web Features, and click to check the box next to Block Pop-Ups.

bobw said:
For the average user here, 'Never' isn't such a long time since Aug 20th, regardless of your computer habits.

Some of us probably sleep compute :)
Heck, I sleep compute. Then I dream, then I compute in my dreams. Still very happy with Camino. :)

Posted by Mikuro

I also had this problem, posted it, and someone answered with a Camino Preference setting (which I have forgotten now) which corrected this problem.

I'm sure you can find it if you look for it.

Matt

Back