Me Again!!

Damn... i am Gettin Real P*Ssed...

NOT only is my "one and only" Windows XP Gettin Loadsa Bad Press...

...DONT RUB IT IN!!! LOL

But Also....

One of my mates... Just got an iBook... FREE!!! :(

As u know, i been looking @ Getting a Mac, Wiv OS X....

And its Literally..."Fallen Into His Lap"

Fortunately... he Ain't too good when it comes 2 "£££'s"

...And i think i can make some kinda deal...

However...

all i know... is its...

iBook G(4?) 500MHz
128MB RAM ...

Thats all i know...

but Like... What tha kinda price tag, on one?!

How will it Run OS X?!

PLZ... Hit Me Back!

... Many Thanks...

the WINDOWS XP User... With NO MAC... (Yet! LOL)

...OH!! and No Rubbin it in... about XP!

Grrrr...!

NeYo

I bought my son an iBook 500 and I ran X 10.0.2 or something and it was OK with 192mb or RAM. OS X should have 512mb to eliminate most paging with an average user and with Classic running too.
128mb isn't going to cut it.
BTW, as I understand it, this bug that XP suffers from is also in ME and 98SE if you had an additional service installed.
So it is not something new to XP. M$ will be feeding us the patches(i like updates better) just like Apple does.
Good thing for the T1 connection.

merry os X mas

I have an iBook with 384mb of ram and a 500 mhz g3. It runs OSX well and I'm very happy with the machine.

I just wrote in another post that Apple's prices were too high. That's true in general but I think that the iBook is an exception.

If you're going to try an Apple get an iBook. If your want a desktop machine wait until after 1/7/02 and then get some more advice.

BTW, I thought it ran OSX well with 128 mb of ram. More is better and it 128 will limit how many apps you can have open but you can get by with 128mb.

I hope this helps,
Vanguard

Cheers Guys...

I am Learning all the while!
God help u guys, when i get a mac....

i'll be like "how do i...?" And "But WINDOWS did it..." <-- LOL!

NeYo

please don't bug us with those kinda questions first. try to just USE mac os x. it should be pretty intuitive, even coming from a windows environment. os x doesn't tell you what you could do all the time, but you'll find out everything on your own, basically.

:)

the dock will be your first place to turn to. then system preferences (which resides on the dock, or you'll also find it under the apple). and then you'll just start using your mac, whatever it'll be. go for the ibook i say.

then, if you DO run into any problems, ask us here.

and btw: my powerbook had 256 megs of ram at first, and it was okay with os x. i then upgraded it to 384 (by ripping the dimm out of my elder ibook), and it was better. since i've got 512 megs of ram, the powerbook is fine. i guess a gig of ram would be my dream, but if you can, max the ibook out from the beginning with an additional 512 meg bar, you'll have 640 total.

Hmmm... Strange...
i Ain't Buggin' u Directly... And Every1 Else, Decides they'd Prefer 2 help! Besides, its a message Board, so if U're here... u have time on U're Hands!
As For Using a Mac... Well... i have no opputunity to use one, @ College... as they are used by Design Students... NOT Peeps Doing tha Lame Ass "Business Info Systems" etc!
And Mac's, here are nowhere 2 be seen!
Not in any Stores, Nowhere... So Errr... i have no chance!

So, all i ask is a simple question... and if you choose to answer then, then many thanks! Otherwise, just Don't!

I have Found, that most guys Welcome, some1 who's a Lil' "different" Grrr NO COMMENTS! LMAO!
but i mean, giving away simple knowledge, is not a crime is it!? And it's "XP...mas" After All! haha!

NeYo

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Cheers Guys...

I am Learning all the while!
God help u guys, when i get a mac....

i'll be like "how do i...?" And "But WINDOWS did it..." <-- LOL!

NeYo

Being a relatively new Mac user, coming from Windows and Unix, I am very happy with OS X. There is really only one thing that still REALLY pisses me off, that both the other OS's have, and OS X does not, nor OS 9. That is being able to jump to the beginning of a line of text. Some apps support it, some don't, and some have different functionality for the same key combo. No true consistency. I hate it.

Btw, OS X runs very well on the G4 350 I have at work. It has 384 megs of RAM, though.

jeeez fryke, give the guy a break. he's trying to break a bad habit. he's experiencing some natural anxiety. he's looking for some reassurance from others with experience. and you tell him to go quit cold turkey and come back when the shaking starts!! do you manage an hmo?

NeYo, you might want to find some of the sites that sell used macs on the web and see what used ones go for. the fact is that many macs are holding decent resale right now. which also makes them a better buy at any price.

i personally advise waiting till after jan 8 or so to make any decision as the entire pricing structure is likely to change after macworld expo in san francisco.

Hmmm...! Cool! Will Do..!
Gives me Xtra time, to top up that Piggy bank...

And Play Wiv Windows XP ...haha! ;)

Thanks Dude!

NeYo

hazmat: Usually command-left arrow will take you to the beginning of a line. If not that, then control-left arrow might do it. I know option-left arrow and option-right arrow almost ALWAYS go left one word and right one word, respectively. You can at least use this to get to the beginning of a line quickly.

Originally posted by simX
hazmat: Usually command-left arrow will take you to the beginning of a line. If not that, then control-left arrow might do it. I know option-left arrow and option-right arrow almost ALWAYS go left one word and right one word, respectively. You can at least use this to get to the beginning of a line quickly.

Okay, I do know that, but this is what pisses me off. Doesn't always work. Depends on the app. Yes, option-arrow will jump words, but if I am typing in a text box in a web browser, like I am now, and I go up a few lines in a paragraph and want to shoot to the beginning or end of a line, there is seemingly no way to, because where command-left/right arrow will often do this, in IE that is bound to forward or back in history. In Windows Home/End will pretty much ALWAYS take you to the beginning and end of a line. In Unix ^A/^E. Those Unix ones (from emacs actually) actually work in some apps in OS X, the ones from NeXT. :)

Re moving to the begining of a line of text -
Control or Command left right will work in OS X option left right is one word.

As for the behaior in Web Browsers... unfortunatly that is the Browser Developers implementation of it. So if you hate it blame MS or Omni or NutScrape.

The reason it works fluidly in Windows is that you OS IS the web browser all windows are browsers of a sort so the functionality is dictated by the system not the app. although I would be interested to see if that holds true for Nutscrape Nevergetter on Windows... can anyone try it and let me know.
I don't feel like pulling out and booting up my crapola Compaq Armada M700 8-P don't laugh... I have 6 Macs and on PC and a NeXT cube.

Cheers

READ my post? what i suggested was that if he buys a mac he should first try for himself. i didn't say with one word that 'we' (and i can't speak for all of us and didn't) wouldn't help?! of course we will, i just think mac os x *IS* intuitive and so he'll find out everything for himself. at the beginning anyway. don't turn me off like that, guys!

efoivx, this is simply one of those things that Windows does MUCH better than Mac OS. I commented on this to a friend to after a long time went over to a Mac (OS 9) from Windows, and he said that too.

My guess is that it is part of the Windows API? Not being a programmer, I can't really back up that comment. But I am secure is saying that it has NOTHING to do with web integration into the OS. This is one thing you can't blaim MS for, only be jealous. :) This Home/End functionality goes all the way back to Win 3.0 and even DOS with DOSKey! Simply everywhere there is a line for typing text, Home and End will shot you to the beginning or end of the current line. I use NT4 all day at work, and it works in every browser I have on it (IE, Mozilla, Netscape), AOL Instant Messenger, Notepad, any dialog box in the OS, enter boxes for renaiming icons, the DOS shell command line, whatever. Seriously. I can't think of any time I ever noticed that it didn't work. I have Win2k and 95 (and Linux and DOS :) ) installed on the PC I have here, which I access usually through VNC from OS X (until I get a KVM box that is), and just played around in Win2k. Home/End worked all over the place, even Nutscrape. Amazing such a little thing that you get used to and miss when it's gone. Play around with your NeXT box. My guess is that
^A/^E will work everywhere. In web browsers, alt-arrow will go ahead or back in browsers.

I just played a bit in OS X to see this. This functionality that I am complaining about in IE is also present in the much coveted Omniweb. It is NOT in Mozilla! they actually seperated the functionality of the between the browser window and the text fields! BRAVO to Mozilla! But my guess is that for Windows apps, this is beyond the software itself, and it is built into the OS. Again, I am not a programmer, so any correction to my comments is greatly appreciated so I can have a better understanding of this.

One hooray for Macs: I prefer its option-arrow word skipping to Windows', since it seems to account more for punctuation and such. In Windows I find that I need to do any extra arrow movement to go back or ahead around punctuation when moving around to edit.

So that's it. I really don't think I'm nitpicking here. I think is a serious flaw in the Mac OS's and really does affect work-flow.

hey fryke, nobody is 'turning you off':) but whether you meant it or not, your post seemed to say "go away. call us when you've got a mac." I just didn't feel that was fair to neyo and certainly didn't reflect the attitude of everyone here. (hey, i love the chance to convert - it's like saving someone's soul:D ) and it really does remind me of the way hmo's handle mental health. they don't want to pay for preventive treatment - only willing to fork out $$$ once a breakdown occurs and hospitalization occurs. (can you tell that struck a pesonal nerve ending:mad: )

so don't get upset or feel bad. if you don't want to help, then don't. no big deal. just be careful when you use the proverbial "we" in the future. you've got your opinions and i've got mine and everybody else has their's. and that's the way it should be. so let's shake hands and stay cool. (smile)

Back