media center

Johnny Blaze

Big Baby Jesus
Whats a good mac program that is like Windows Media Center, ie a tivo like program that can record tv on a hard drive and act as a dvr. What is needed to run a system like this? Can a cable modem pick up cable tv? Can I stream the television programs to different tvs in the house without moving the computer. What hardware do you need on the computer.

Thanks

Tivo has software in beta for mac now. So far, there isn't a good DVR solution AFAIK, but we're all patiently waiting for the mac mini dvr to come out soon. *fingers crossed*

Or since I already have a digital cable box with dvr, could I hook the powerbook up to it somehow and record shows onto a dvd that I have recorded onto the box?

Yes, you need EyeTV from Elgato Systems. It'll let you watch tv, and record it to your hard drive.

To get it out to your tv, there's no wireless solution for video as yet, so you just have to run some long long cables to get it to your tv.

If your powerbook has an s-video out, use that. If you don't have an s-video out, then you'll need an adapter to use with your monitor-out port.

For audio, you'll need an 1/8" stereo jack to RCA audio cable converter to run the audio, used with the headphone jack on your powerbook. Of course, this means no surround.

Then again, why would you port a tv signal to your powerbook, just to port it back to your tv?

Back