Memory beyond 1 GB

lbrandt

Registered
I don't do image processing or graphics creation, mainly office activities. Currently have 1GB in an 800MHz Ti Powerbook.

I'm considering an upgrade in the next few months. Has anyone notice much performance improvement (any way you care to define it) by going beyond 1 GB? If so, how does that improvement manifest itself?

....Larry

First off: I don't think you will see any benefits in going beyond 1gb.
But what's more interesting to me: does your tibook support 1gb modules? I actually don't think so and that's why 1gb is the maximum you can go considering you got 2 banks for SDRam memory and that I never saw a 1gb S0 SDRam module. So, if you are not satisfied with the speed of your powerbook then save your money for a new one.

I think the max for the Aluminium Pbooks is 1.25 GB (well, it is on the 12 inch, maybe a little more on the others), so I don't expect the Titanium Pbooks to be any better.

*runs before 2 titanium book users unite and attack*

lbrandt said:
I don't do image processing or graphics creation, mainly office activities. Currently have 1GB in an 800MHz Ti Powerbook.

I'm considering an upgrade in the next few months. Has anyone notice much performance improvement (any way you care to define it) by going beyond 1 GB? If so, how does that improvement manifest itself?

....Larry
Additional memory adds no performance increase if you don't need it as evidenced by excessive pageouts or many, or excessively long spinning, SBBODs. Generally speaking, many Macs will take more memory that their manuals indicate. For example, the "max" on older iBooks was 640 MB. But, they actually will take 1.125 GB. The "max" was stated at 640 MB because at the time the iBooks were released, 1 GB sticks did not exist. I am betting that my iBook will take a 2 GB stick when available, but I would never buy one since I don't need it. I don't even need the 1.25 GB I have.

I'm pretty sure that the Ti PowerBooks only supported up to 1GB RAM.

The Al PowerBooks definitely take 2GB - that's what I've got in mine.

I swear my systems feel zippier with my RAM!!! :)

My Powerbook has a limit of 1.25 GB according to the people at the Genius Bar. I have a 12 inch 1.33 Ghz model.

I should have made clear that by "upgrading" I meant buying a new machine, which I assumed would have a max memory greater than 1GB.

Thanks for all the opinions. My budget will not be unlimited, so I conclude I should forgo 2GB in favor of more disk or a faster processor if it comes down to that.

Back