Memory Software

Rhisiart

Registered
Does anyone know of a software product that can help me to work out if some errant programme on my G4 is using too much memory?

Does anyone know of a software product that can help me to work out if some errant program on my G4 is using too much memory?

Utilities>Activity Monitor

I believe this is sufficient to track memory usage, you can select each App in detail.

;)

Alternatively, from Terminal, run "top". The information you'll get from it is much the same, though.

iStat Pro is a free widget which shows all info about your computer (Memory usage, CPU, Network ..etc...). Good if you want a quick way to view this sort of information.

iStat Pro is a free widget which shows all info about your computer (Memory usage, CPU, Network ..etc...). Good if you want a quick way to view this sort of information.
Thanks Madelin.

OK, here's my problem. According iStat (with only Camino and Dashboard active) I have:

95MB of wired memory
154MB of active memory
372 MB of inactive memory
140 MB of free memory

None of this means anything to me. I don't know whether this is good or bad.

If I use Activity Monitor, presumably I have to have all my programmes running in order to detect some huge memory take up.

Are you still searching for the errant program?;)[/FONT]

Thanks for this. I opened every programme I have individually. Nothing seems awry.

I used Applejack and now my system is working much faster. It seems to have found a corrupt preference.

Back