menu extras in Jag and Menu Extra Enabler

ksignorini

Registered
I don't have Jag yet, but I understand that menu extras from 3rd parties don't work--is that correct?

Is Unsanity's Menu Extra Enabler a viable (and the most popular/only way) to get them to run?

Are there any 3rd party menu extras that don't work with Menu Extra Enabler?

Does Weatherpop run as a menu extra if Menu Extra Enabler is running?

Thanks,
Kent!

Originally posted by ksignorini
Does Weatherpop run as a menu extra if Menu Extra Enabler is running?

I do not have Menu Extra Enabler. I do have WeatherPop (v1.5). WeatherPop appears to work just fine as a menu extra.

Originally posted by ksignorini
Are there any 3rd party menu extras that don't work with Menu Extra Enabler?

I had Cee Pee You and PickChar running before upgrading to Jaguar and both died with the upgrade. I have yet to try MEE.

Scottish

This is an issue very dear to me (see screenshot).

From what I gather, there are now 2 APIs for MenuExtras. Apple's and everyone elses. Only apple's API allows for rearranging of menuling icons (apparently a bad menuling can cause a lot of trouble in the more-enabled apple API)

in any cse 10.2 will check the menulings using the better API. any that are not apple-supplied will not be loaded. the apps that enable old-style menulings basically get around this artificial barrier.

the problem that I found is that developers have updated their menulings to be compliant with 10.2. This means that those menullings will load, but you won't be able to rearenge them.

using software to enable old-style menulings won't help if the menuling was updated to be 10.2 compliant. however, if your menuling is 10.1 compliant that software will allow it to work on 10.2 (you can even move it around).

the new version of wheather pop is 10.2 complient and as such its position will be determined by when it loads (and it seems to take a ver long time so that it is usually the last one to load)

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 19
Back