menubar clock freezes

iceyg

Funky Member
Anyone have a clue why my menu bar clock freezes? I thought it was originally a problem with VPC leeching off X's clock, but I haven't been in that in a while. Then I thought that maybe this program itunes clock had something to do with it, but that app isn't always open. (an applicaiotn that tells itunes to start playing mp3's at a given time). Anyone else having the same problem or has had the same problem? It froze at 8:12AM this morning...when I was sleeping!!!

Apps that are generally open all the time for me are AIM, itunes, finder, and IE.
I got dual 450's, 512 RAM, dual monitors, SCSI RW.

i don't have your answer, but i would make AIM my first suspect and IE my second.

just a couple of other suspicians - do you set your clock with an internet server? do you run any other background apps that check on dns or do websearching? Have you tried trashing your international prefs and resetting them? is this happening during sleep?

Well, I just decided to trash preferences for menubarclock, IE, and AIm hope that works, I couldn't find any international preferences though. But I also discovered to suspicious things, too...when the clock freezes, so does the desktop PICTURE....not the icons on the desktop. For instance, if I change the desktop picture in the desktop control panel, it holds the previous picture. I also noticed in the displays panel the box for "show displays in menubar" was unchecked, but yet, the displays was in the menubar...I have no idea. This is annoying. I'll try deleting the internationl prefs if I find them...

After I wake up my ibook from sleep mode, I see the clock freezes. I don't know why. But I know how to correct the time. I click the clock. And the pop down menu shows up. I click the menu again. Then the clock gets right time. I am suspicious that what actually freezes after sleeping is not a clock but a desktop.

It still freezes. My desktop never goes to sleep, so it doesn't freeze in sleep mode. I have my clock network Sync with apple's time server, but the clock still freezes. And I can't be like jaeyongdavid because when I click the clock I don't even get that menu anymore...same with the sound, airport and displays menu's up there. But the actual standard menu's like file edit, etc. work.
I'm gonna do some testing next time I log out to fix the clock to see if it is AIM, or IE messin' it up then I'll get back to report it....I'll continue to check this tread to see if anyone posts where these international prefs are b/c I'll try trashing them too.

i dont have AIM but i get the clock freeze also. to get it going again, open the system prefs....go to date&time click or unclick the "show the clock in the menu". and it should start again.
if you go the Sound and click or unclick "show sound in the menu bar" ....the freeze is broken also...strange

I haven't been in AIM or IE all day and it froze, so those apps have nothing to do with it. I dunno what else I can do now... And I got it bad too b/c clicking the now unchecked "show clock in menubar" checks it until I quit system prefs and go back to it where it is unchecked again. And as for the sound trick...I check it, it turns grey then a rainbow for a bit, then it is still unchecked...my computer has turned dumb, can't even keep time anymore. (BTW X.I.III didn't fix this problem either)

Back