Messaging from a new iMac!

Albert, I would recommend the SmartDisk VST Floppy External USB Drive. I used VST's first USB floppy, and had great success with it. I would only assume due to still good reviews that they've kept their quality high.

They're in the 45 - 60 dollar range, so not terribly unaccesable cash wise...

if you look at my specs you can see i am also a vst fan. i would definitly argue for their firewire zip drive over anything that iomega makes. i used to go thru iomega drives once a year. (i started buying store warrenties to get free replacements it was so bad) this vst has lasted one and a half and still going strong.

blingbling - traditionally the floppies must be formatted in pc (dos) and the files can really be anything if the program can read it. i don't know enough about this from pc side but for simplicity sake i have always saved to these disks in either a pc version of the program or a universal format like .rtf or text. i've forgotten extension for text, probably .txt. you should know this though. html should be universal as well.

i guess with the new software that makes the pc read mac disks and formats this could change but i am sure there are very few people using it yet.

First, as long as floppies are formatted for DOS, it will work fine.
However, if you want to show your students how cool macs are, get them to burn their docs on CD... its faster, safer and can hold a lot more data. What is more, if a CD is not full you can alway use it again... I use one to transfert word docs, I've made about 20 transfers and used only 50 mb on it.
You should get at least one floppy drive though, to allow students without a CD burner at home to bring stuff, and to show PC users that Macs can read floppies (incredible the number of PC users who think its no longer possible).

Good luck with all of it!

Originally posted by Kinniken
What is more, if a CD is not full you can alway use it again... I use one to transfert word docs, I've made about 20 transfers and used only 50 mb on it.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering what kind of CDs you were talking about, Kinniken. You are meaning CD-RWs right? CD-RWs would be great as you can reuse them, but for some reason the CDs created with CD-RWs do not work on a lot of systems (my 8500 and Performa for example) maybe I should give my students the choice between a floppy or a CD and if they choose CD I will let them burn their own CDR so I know that it will most probably work on a PC, right?

Anyway, here is my complete list of supplies, am I missing anything?

Apple iMac (x11)
Apple Titanium PowerBook
Apple iBook
Apple 17" Flat Monitor
Apple Airport Base Station
Apple Airport Card
Apple Final Cut Pro
Adobe GoLive 6
Adobe Photoshop 7
Adobe LiveMotion 2
Connectix Virtual PC 5 w/ XP Home
Photo-Objects Volume I & II
Kensington Saddlebag w/ Apple Logo (x2)
Smart Disk VST Titanium USB Floppy Drive
SmartMedia 256MB Memory Card (ok, this is digital camera film right?)
Quicken Quickbooks Pro (financial stuff, person who helped us with IRS work said we needed this)
Lexmark X83 Printer
Macromedia Freehand 10
Aladdin Stuffit Deluxe 6.5
Drive 10
Microsoft Office v.X :eek: :p
PowerBook BookEndz
Firewire 120GB Hard Drive (to store all my students work on :rolleyes: )
Corel Knockout (is this the best software for masking or is there something better?)

That is the complete shopping list (for the computer lab) minus some things like gym equipment and everything. Is this complete or am I missing something?

Have a great day!

Albert

Back