Michael Dell: "I would sell OS X on my machines"

Funny, my XP box has no spyware, viruses or trojans, hasn't crashed since I've had it and cost half as much as a comparably fast powermac...

Windows doesn't suck, if the user doesn't suck. End of story.

Jason said:
Funny, my XP box has no spyware, viruses or trojans, hasn't crashed since I've had it and cost half as much as a comparably fast powermac...

Bingo.

'Zactly the point I was making. Thank you!

fjdouse said:
[OFF TOPIC]Sorry chornbe, Windows is crap, it's designed poorly, layer upon layer of mistakes, with NO security model and has a built-in crash-o-matic feature, not to mention that even without installing junk online, it gets slower and slower and slower until the user either upgrades the hardware or is forced to attempt a reinstall. An internet connection only makes it worse. As the quip goes "32bit extensions to a 16bit GUI for an 8bit OS on a 4bit processor by a 2bit company". It's rubbish mate, sorry.[/OFF TOPIC]

Good for a giggle. Patently incorrect, false and based on heresay and silliness... but chuckle-worthy for sure. Thank you.

FWIW I have two Macs, two iPods and an iSight and one PC, so please, no one assume I'm a PC fanboy (don't know how many n00bs there are around here, so I gotta get that out of the way ;)).

Jason said:

I'm sorry, I quite frankly have to disagree with this. As far as viruses/spyware/adware/etc. is concerned, I have to agree any good user doesn't have these problems. However, as far as Windows crashing being the user's fault, that's not always true. There can be problems related to drivers that are entirely beyond users. I had that issue for the longest time, recently I changed video cards and I have it no longer, but often windows crashes are driver related, not user created.

[OFF TOPIC]I earned my tertiary degrees in systems engineering. I've ran several IT consultancies and was even a partner in a company assembling, selling and maintaining Windows PCs. My humored dig aside, Windows IS a poor operating system compared to some others I could think of, but even so, I support it's existence! Otherwise I wouldn't have had the pleasure of making money from it's gaping flaws.

I was contracted as a consultant for one of the worlds largest accountancy firms a number of years ago, who were completely Mac based but were STUPIDLY making a transition to Windows, why? Because their new IT manager only knew Windows. Go figure. Their Mac support costs were low and the entire international IT support team totalled 30 members, after the transition to Windows PCs, the support team had to be increased to over 300! including myself (The company I owned was billing them for an enourmous hourly rate) to cope with the endless problems which dogged them until I left (and I assume, still do to this day). (BTW. I was a good Mac lover and rescued several machines, including reuniting some distraught users and their Macs to take home.)

More recently I did some work for a R&D company in fibre optics, 100 Windows PC's and 100 Solaris boxes, these weren't 'dumb' users, they were IEEE engineers. All the systems did the same thing, some users would not use Windows though, these guys WERE the company, if they wouldn't use it the company was happy to provide Solaris boxes. They all (the computers) did comparable jobs: web/mail, wordprocessing, spreadsheets etc. either with MS Office or StarOffice/TeX and Xilinx related software.

I maintained all the UNIX systems myself with 100% uptime and actually had so much time free I could play in the labs with embedded Linux systems, meanwhile, it took 5 people working flat out to do the same for the Windows machines, which were always having problems and issues to be dealt with, desktops crashing, servers falling over etc. etc. etc. it NEVER stopped. They were all allegedly Microsoft certified, not that THAT means much!

In my humble OPINION, in my ignorance as a dumbskull without a clue about anything really, especially derr... comp-uters! :rolleyes: ..Windows IS poorly designed, poorly implemented and generally a pain to use or maintain. I consider myself fortunate that I have never developed a Windows dependancy problem. It's Fisher Price computing, for kids and secretaries, for Outlook or the latest dull brain-off game (now that will rattle some cages) but not the discerning user :p Seriously, it tries to be all things to all men (or PCs) and it can't do it. But what do I know?

Anyway, can we please TRY to keep this on thread, the OS debate is old and just results in people going round and round ad nauseum, it's a p1$$ing contest and not a very interesting one. I find it amazing that we're getting people actually praising Windows on a Mac forum! The Intel switch must have done more than change a CPU! Now, keep it on Dell and their beautiful Windows boxes which has a few closet fans here it seems... :) [/OFF TOPIC]

Ever since i switched to OpenSource software (Mozilla Firebird/Thunderbird) and haven't gotten Spam or Spyware in the past year... :D

had mad problems installing adobe CS2 though last night, wanted to throw the box out the window and smash it with a hammer... :mad:

got it installed today fine though. So i guess that makes up for it...

fjdouse said:
[OFF TOPIC]I earned my tertiary degrees in systems engineering. I've ran several IT consultancies and was even a partner in a company assembling, selling and maintaining Windows PCs. My humored dig aside, Windows IS a poor operating system compared to some others I could think of, but even so, I support it's existence! Otherwise I wouldn't have had the pleasure of making money from it's gaping flaws.

etc. etc. etc..... [/OFF TOPIC]

Sorry to reincarnate, but this is extremely well said. I couldn't of done a better job myself. Experience makes one wise ;) AND DON'T ARGUE THIS, I mean it's his real-life experience!

Well the way I see it is that Microsoft might have some interest in OSX going to the PC market....my point.... In the last year we've seen countless anti-trust and monopoly suits against the Redmond company. A few weeks ago the European Commision assesed a multi-milion euro fine to microsoft just for putting Windows Media Player in their O.S. As things go on Microsoft needs somebody else in the game so they can avoid all this suits.

Linux has been positioning itself to play that role for a few years but of course Mr. Gates didn't like it very much...why?? He didn't get any piece of the linux cake...However...think about APPLE. If Apple were to be that 2nd option Microsoft would avoid many many suits and Microsoft owns 49% of apple...and has no control over it so they could not be accused of monopolize the market......

Just my 2 cents..
Ernesto

apparently the 49% bit is untrue. a nice little rumour for the pc zealots.

i've just been using windows in anger (as in using it to actaully get some work done). and i'm angry. i hate it so much. for years i tolerated it, even liked the way it worked, it wasn't bad! then i spent 6 months solely using macOS x. there is a better way, and it highlights just how far behind windows is. i'm getting so stressed just using it - it's a pain in the arse not having expose. and the start menu is crap - so hard to find a program. and just the way whenever you tryto do something, SOMETHING has to go werong, even if it';s only little, it has to go wrong in some way.

PC people say macs are incompatible, i disagree - pc's are far more incompatible - at least apple know they have to try hard.

</off-topic, well-tread-before rant>

Thread is going tooooo off-topic. We don't really need another "How good/bad is Windows, really?" thread. Those belong to the Café, or to other forums, in my opinion. ;)

So, please: Keep away from attacking/defending Windows.

Their Mac support costs were low and the entire international IT support team totalled 30 members, after the transition to Windows PCs, the support team had to be increased to over 300!
off-topic: I will try to keep it short

THe above quote can be boiled down to: Job Security :D
I am a mac user, but at work I maintain windows workstations (along with A/V equipment). Windows machines I touch every day to make sure all is running well. The few macs that we loan to clients I seriously touch once a month (when I see that there is a security updates/virus DAT on my mac which I use for work) lol

You cannot protect people from their own stupidity, you can just make a profit ;)

edit: sorry - I did not see Fryke's post - how about we move this discussion to the Café ? -whoever is interested anyway - or lets just lay it to rest

RGrphc2 said:
wanted to throw the box out the window and smash it with a hammer... :mad:

I can't recommend that enough, my father years ago showed me the light by throwing his offending Atari VCS, VCR, rubbish movies and anything else 'unfit' out of the window in rage, and I've followed his teachings as a good son. I've thrown PCs, kicked them, jumped on them, taken my mighty "Hammer of Corrective Justice" to them, even printers have been thrown from the top of buildings in annoyance. Catharsis in action, very good stuff. Until recently I had a stack of PCs in my yard which had offended my eye. All treated with the utter contempt they deserved. There are a number of good sites on this and a pick axe is highly recommended.

Fryke
I think the Dell thing has run it's course, may the thread rest in peace.

fjdouse said:
I can't recommend that enough, my father years ago showed me the light by throwing his offending Atari VCS, VCR, rubbish movies and anything else 'unfit' out of the window in rage, and I've followed his teachings as a good son. I've thrown PCs, kicked them, jumped on them, taken my mighty "Hammer of Corrective Justice" to them, even printers have been thrown from the top of buildings in annoyance. Catharsis in action, very good stuff. Until recently I had a stack of PCs in my yard which had offended my eye. All treated with the utter contempt they deserved. There are a number of good sites on this and a pick axe is highly recommended.

Fryke
I think the Dell thing has run it's course, may the thread rest in peace.

Haha thats funny stuff. It's not just PC's that get old though.... I once shot the hell out of an old PowerBook -100Mhz I think- with a .22 rifle from across a yard, then took a hunting knife and tore it apart.... I sure did learn alot about the inner workings of old laptops :)

I agree with fj, move this thread and may it rest in peace.

Back