MicroMV and 1394 camcorders....

OmegaMan

Registered
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on getting an mini-dv camcorder, and am looking at either the Sony dcr-ip5 (which uses that new micromv tech), or the sony dcrpc101 (regular) dv camcorder.

They both cost the same, though the first one is smaller. I do have two questions....

Question 1. I know that they both have firewire connections. Though, the first one has a 'micromv 1394'....will my g4 (using whatever...imovie or fcp) be able to do the video editing, or is it a normal 1394 connection, or a proprietory sony format (hence, only their software)?

Question 2. Since my brother hates canon, I'm deciding between these two... so....relatively speaking...any major problems that I should be aware of?

Personally....I'd rather get the smaller one (the dcr-ip5)..but if it's a proprietory ilink connection, that I can't use on my qs 933....no thank you! ;)

Thanks in advance...

Do NOT get the IP series. They use MPEG2 as their codec and therefore iMovie/FCP/Any piece of software will not be able to use the footage.

I work in a shop selling these gadgets. The IP series can only run on PC's with FireWire and the software supplied by Sony.

I have the PC8 which may be a European model only but it is smaller than the 101 and almost as good picture quality. The IP series has a small lens and the MPEG2 codec is a bit gay for editing. If you have any more Q's please ask.

Originally posted by alexachucarro
Do NOT get the IP series. They use MPEG2 as their codec and therefore iMovie/FCP/Any piece of software will not be able to use the footage.

I work in a shop selling these gadgets. The IP series can only run on PC's with FireWire and the software supplied by Sony.

I have the PC8 which may be a European model only but it is smaller than the 101 and almost as good picture quality. The IP series has a small lens and the MPEG2 codec is a bit gay for editing. If you have any more Q's please ask.

Thanks man, I appreciate the quick, informed reply. I work in an electronics store...but not with the camcorders.

That's what I figured, when I was reading Sony's Evolve magazine, with their micromv....but darn....they sure look good! :->

I think the pc8 is the european model....not too sure which the canadian version is equivilent to. As it stands now....i guess I'll be buying the 101

Unless I can get my hands on release notes of sony products coming to market. *laughs*

But now I have a question... Are there any digital camcorders that stream live video out thru the firewire? Would be cool to have one that also doubles as a webcam. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Don

Hi Wilsonium - mind if I jump in on your thread?

I have been shopping for a camcorder and I have found out quite a bit, but I am not an expert. It seems you can only use a camcorder for web streaming through USB. It will look better than a typical web cam, but the frame rate is reduced to something like 15 fps because of USB. The Sony TRV series MiniDV and Digital8 cameras all seem to have this. I think some Canons (sorry!) and Panasonic's do too.

I have been thinking of getting the DCRTRV25 or 27, but I don't know where to buy it - let me explain something that is very important:

I have done price shopping and bizrate and eopinions list a few companies whose prices seem beyond belief. Apparently many of these companies sell non-US versions, open or used cameras and/or cameras without all the normal accessories (like a battery, lens... memory stick and on and on). They also have absurd shipping rates ($50 UPS ground), often do not ship your order for weeks or if you order online call you and hassle you to buy something more expensive and/or more accessoreis - if you don't buy more then they often do not ship your order. Royal Camera (www.royalcamera.com/) seems to be the sleaziest of the bunch. Please be careful out there! If anyone knows of a dealer that can be trusted, please let me know. I thought I would try genesis camera.com, but found out they are the same company as 645AF.com - both have good proces and okay ratings, but why does a comapny need two names? If only Circuit City would sell these things for less than list price!

Originally posted by Wilsonium
But now I have a question... Are there any digital camcorders that stream live video out thru the firewire? Would be cool to have one that also doubles as a webcam. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Don

Perhaps I can answer your question now.

I bought the dcr-pc101 (henceforce, the 101...getting tired of typing that. *l*) today. It's really nice and small. Also got the 64mb memory stick (72mb total).

You can use it as a webcam, through the usb port - even using Netmeeting. I did it through my brother's toshiba, with no problem. Nice, and clear ofcourse.

I couldn't test whether it could be done through the firewire, since he doesn't have that on his laptop. If there is a webconfercing util that I can use, for mac with a f/w camera....could someone tell me? I hear that yahoo's im has it now....i dunno.

And ofcourse, no real load on the system, when showing it through iMovie....my family though it was neat. :D Welcome to your studio INDEED!

We just bought a Canon ZR-45MC, which we LOVE. I don't understand the hatred towards Canon, but that's you're brother's thing. I do know that Canon makes their own lenses and therefore can offer a better deal than Sony, but that's beside the point.

You might want to check out MacAddict's latest issue (Sept 2002, p 68). They list the requirements as:
• QuickTime Broadcaster
• QuickTime 6
• DV Camera (they don't specify FireWire or not)
• Internet or network connection

Originally posted by MDLarson
We just bought a Canon ZR-45MC, which we LOVE. I don't understand the hatred towards Canon, but that's you're brother's thing. I do know that Canon makes their own lenses and therefore can offer a better deal than Sony, but that's beside the point.

You might want to check out MacAddict's latest issue (Sept 2002, p 68). They list the requirements as:
• QuickTime Broadcaster
• QuickTime 6
• DV Camera (they don't specify FireWire or not)
• Internet or network connection

I don't know too much about camcorders...and I did look at some Canon ones, and that was a really nice model too. Yeah...my brother hates canon, since he had a bad experience with them once....whatever.

I like the canon G2 myself though. :D

I did get a pretty good deal on the 101, so I'm happy with it so far (only had it 3 days).

Man....when I reg'ed my g4, when I got it on may 16th, I chose MacAddict for my free gift, and I STILL haven't received it! I'm gonna call up Apple tomorrow. When I bought my 15" studio display, I chose Macworld for my free gift....one of them better come, cause I ain't paying $10can for it! *laughs*

Back