Microphone

Oddly in most cases, you have to buy something that'll record your voice. VersionTracker has a nice list of programs you can check out here. I would recommend though that if your looking to buy something, upgrade your QuickTime player to QuickTime Pro. It gives you voice recording abilities as well as tons of very useful features.

If you already have GarageBand, though (and all new Macs released in the past year or two should), that will let you record from the mic.

iMovie will also let you record using the internal mic. Press the Audio icon, record, and go to the Advanced menu> Extract Audio.

Doug

Sorry to interrupt, but can anyone tell me whether the Power Mac G5 even has an internal mic? I know the iMac G5 does, but it doesn't show up in my Power Mac's sound input list in sound preferences. Thanks

Tower case Macs don't have a microphone.
I use "Audiocorder" with a very cheap external (Chinese manufactured) desk mike, connected via an iMic USB adapter.

. . . and there's Audacity, a free open-source app. I've never used it, but it's reportedly very powerful.

Doug

Back