MicroSloth Windose XP report

My dad's Dell laptop was stolen a couple of weeks ago, so he had to order a new one. I asked him what OS he chose...he said the Dell salesman told him not to get XP, and recommended that he get Win2k instead. Hmmm...interesting. Why would a Dell rep do that? It's my dad's personal computer, not for business or anything.

cutman

Dell must know something lol :p (although if they are like Mr. Dell, they know jack shite :p)

I would like to test drive XP (on VPC). How fast is it ? How fast in comparison to win2k ? What kind of machine do you have ?

Originally posted by buggs1a
where the hell do you get xp upgrade $400???? it is $99 for home upgrade, $200 for home full, $300 for pro full and $150 i think for pro upgrade.

I think he is talking about Australian dollars.

Originally posted by Jadey

...and she couldn't get over on screen font anti-aliasing. So new and innovative! Guess she's never seen Mac OS X running.

I'm *really* sorry to intrude here so cruelly. You've really got to see the antialiasing of Windows XP on a notebook or other TFT for real. Mac OS X' antialiasing SUCKS against ClearType in Windows XP. It's really better. I've already asked Adobe whether they could license CoolType (which does the same) to Apple, but they didn't answer with yes.

Fact is: Windows XP has better Antialiasing than Mac OS X. Any way you put it. ClearType by Microsoft uses subpixel color antialiasing and you get REALLY REALLY nice type on TFTs. Unmatched by OS X.

My friend has been using XP (legally, he pays for the betas) for months. I've seen the anti-aliasing up close many times. I think it looks nice too.. just like OS X's in fact. He also submitted over 100 bug reports just himself during his testing period.

Anyway, I wanted to get back to the # of hardware items changed. This is printed in the latest issue of Maximum PC (November, 2001):

"when you upgrade or change more than six pieces of monitored hardware, the OS will prompt you to call Microsoft to reactivate your PC, IF you don't change your network card. If you change your network card, your can upgrade only four pieces of monitored hardware. And every 120 days the slate is wiped clean, so you can upgrade at will." Also, this is interesting, "If your PC ships with WinXP pre-installed, Product Activiation works a little differently. Instead of looking at your hardware and generating a number, WinXP uses a section of the BIOS identifier. So, on OEM boxes, you can upgrade hardware as much as you want, until you change your motherboard. At that point, your Producta Activation will revert and behave as described above".

So, what sfish heard was partly true.

The same issue also compares Aqua to Luna, and they trash Aqua almost as badly as fryke trashes os x on these boards :p

Well the same friend says that once you connect any windows machine to the net, it's vulnerable (default install). He recommends not even going online (even with modem) without firewall and virus protection. He knows what he's talking about. He's MS certified up the wazoo.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Hey by any chance has anyone used winblows 98 ? (the parody)

I own it! And Pyst, Star Warped and X-Fools! Can't use it now since I don't have a PeeCee now.

Microsoft COPY from others while people believe that Microsoft makes innovation.

I HATE Microsoft!

However there is a simple reason to avoid XP: next year Microsoft will present at least another one or two OS.

Back