microsoft and GNU

lethe

Registered
i just noticed something a little strange. so remember how microsoft thinks the GPL is like a cancer? and its unamerican? it may be their number one enemy.

but check this out. you can find microsoft listed about halfway down the page. i can t figure out what kind of publicity stunt that is....

$100.00 to $499.99?

Talk about being cheap. It's not a publicity stunt, more like a scandal. At that rate, they might as well not have contributed.

well its probably not much money to microsoft, but to the FSF, which is a completely not for profit organisation, its a lot.

i just can t figure why microsoft would want to contribute even a penny. it can only look bad for microsoft to do that. they publicly claim that the policies of the FSF are unamerican, like a cancer on the software industry, and then they make a cash contribution?

for publicity, it makes no sense. and forget publicity. even if publicity were not the issue, it makes no sense. that s like giving money to your competitors.

Hasn't anyone stopped to think that maybe someone made a donation in Microsoft's name?

If you've ever donated to a foundation before, you'd know you can do it in anyone's name.

Originally posted by azosx
Hasn't anyone stopped to think that maybe someone made a donation in Microsoft's name?

If you've ever donated to a foundation before, you'd know you can do it in anyone's name.

My thoughts exactly, and it would explain why it's such a small amount, no-one would pay $5000 for a prank, but a total geek and MS-hater would probably part with $100 for this...

If it was a prank, that person deserves the following:

STANDING OVATION...Clapping, etc.

:)

That would be an even greater prank if more people would donate in MSFT's name. That would really cloud the issue and make it seem to the casual observer that they come down on both sides of the issue; this is a bad position to be in.

Back