Microsoft and Intel control!!!

Paragon

Interstellar traveler
This is an article from The Register describing how Microsoft and Intel wants to control what you will be able to view on the internet and which program's you can use...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25940.html

...here's an a quote. Scary!

"TCPA and Palladium do not so much provide security for the user, but for the PC vendor, the software supplier, and the content industry. They do not add value for the user. Rather, they destroy it, by constraining what you can do with your PC - in order to enable application and service vendors to extract more money from you."

so do I, but that doesn't mean that I'm not concerned with the way the industry is trying to "control" your computer experience. Just because Apple and Motorola is not doing this in any of their products right now, they might if it turns out to be a "succes" for other companies.

These new technologies have a habit of sneaking into other appliances too. Every owner of an xbox already has it, I know it's not in the exact form as described in the article.

This is not a platform question as such, it's also a question about software developers being submitted to microsoft's rule's.

Well, whatever they do, I don't see Apple following them. And then there's still Linux. Information wants to be free. Try to restrict it. I think there are actually more DVDs copied *because* they were copy protected. They rather should have made them cheaper and better. That's just an example, though. Fact is, restrictive tendencies drive people away. Easy as that.

The only thing this technology will do is create a bifurcation among the PC mother board manufacturers. Slashdot already bitched about this technology, and we know how the Linux folk think about this scenerio. Plus congressman Fritz Hollings is actively pushing this technology so that every PC manufacturer MUST adopt this technology. This will not be good for the consumer. Even if it does become law, there will still be mother boards made that won't have the technology. Other countries could reject it as well. I hope M$ pushes this really hard and FAILS in its effort...old Billie Boy will a few million closer to poverty.

But the thing is... most people do not care if they adopt this crap, and most people will not even know they are using it.

Yeah, like the blue screen of death most people will just accept it as a fact of life.

On the other hand, the nine states might wanna add MS trying to control what is and isn't legal to their list of things to bitch about...

Originally posted by fryke
Fact is, restrictive tendencies drive people away. Easy as that.

How can you say that when 90% of the people owning a computer uses windows. Talk about a company which uses it's dominance to restrict people in their choices.

And then there's still Linux.
Except AMD is in on this too so either Linux changes faces or it gets lost.

I honestly believe that Apple will resist this with all their might. Their stance with the iPod is proof when instead of hacking it to bits they just said "please don't steal". Still Apple is in more of a position to enforce this then even Microsoft so if they wanted to, they would.

It's really funny that people are getting all worked up about this. It seems the board has forgotten that this Pandemonium or Pentragram or whatever this idiotic new security standard for computing is being created by Microsloth. When was the last time they made anything security related work? How many security updates/service packs before it atcually works. I'd be scared in 2079 when they finally fix the security bug that actually randomly creates a descrtuctive virus that sends everyone in your address book a file attachment containing all data from the A: drive. That's right, they'll still be using A: drives in 2079. For those that have never had the joy of using a PeeCee, the A: drive is for floppies. Okay, now I'm just rambling.

Originally posted by Paragon
How can you say that when 90% of the people owning a computer uses windows. Talk about a company which uses it's dominance to restrict people in their choices.

Windows per se is *not* a restrictive technology the way I meant it. Actually right now Windows is a *good* platform if you want to download and use DivX, MP3s and the like.

Back