Microsoft creating Windows for supercomputers

Quote (well, not really...) from BillyBoy's wife on the wedding night: "Oh dear, now I know why you call your company 'Microsoft'" :D ::evil::

"Do you hear me talking here, BillyBoy...? I'm gonna get medieval on your ..." ;)

Hmm, I'm forced to work with win2k at work and I can't stop being amazed of how clumsy and primitive this "operating system" feels! :p

When Long-and-Horny finally hits the streets along with its annoying wizards we'll be way beyond that! :)

I read the article, which part are they copying Mac? If OS X has any of this, it's been around in other OSes for a long time... And what MS is trying to do is pretty clearly NOT being inspired by Apple...

agree with ripcord - if they are copying apple, apple copied linux -> sun -> etc. etc. getting into the supercomputer business isn't evil.

Let first preface this with a big laugh:
"hahahahahahahahaha!"
Microsoft running on a supercomputer? Isn't that an oxymoron? They would have to completely rewrite their kernel from the ground up.
Again, let me end with a smaller, but equally enjoyable chortle:
"hahahaha!"

Congratulations. Your new supercomputer, running Microsoft Windows HPC Edition can perform 90 Trillion operations a second. However, because you chose to use Windows, you will end up with effective processing power simmilar to a Nokia 3310 Mobile Phone, and may get up to 24 hours uninterrupted up-time. Thank you for using Windows.

MS Windows Datacenter was out before this. All they're doing is basically extending the cluster node and memory registers and making it more available than the 8-10 machines - mostly Compaqs and HP's anyway (models) - that could have ever used Datacenter.

And that was out before this statement. And I don't think it's really a case of anybody copying anybody.

Steve Jobs may be rich, but if Bill Gates woke up with Steve Jobs money, he'd jump out of a window. I'm not with MS on this, but supercomputer - clustered or not - really takes me back to the days of Cray and when SGI really meant something. Apple and Microsoft are a distant thought in regards to supercomputers.

Back