Microsoft: iTunes Store too limited for Windows users

20031020l.gif

Ah, that's great, especially after the Penny-Arcade guys have been busting on Mac users for so long in their strip...

lol. I used to read Penny Arcade all the time.

Dammit, now I want pie.

It's funny, though, it's so true. Just install it on a PC and watch them gawk. Two of my roomies who wouldn't dare buy Macs are now falling in love with iTunes. one of them just randomly walked in and said, "I love iTunes. It's just so damn great. Best music player ever."

Apple has to let this one go in order to see it come back. They have to license the technology of iTunes. Let Phillips make a home stereo that can run iTunes smart playlists. Let Panasonic make boom boxes that use them. What use is a digital hub without digital spokes?

OK, they should keep portables to themselves, only iPods are iPods. But the rest has to be licensed and the product base has to expand.

Today, Apple makes computers and that should be their core business, but there's no reason they can't become music moguls too. Especially since it only takes letting others make products that work with their distribution system. The more people have devices that will benefit from using iTunes playlists, aac quality and easy integration with Mac's digital hub framework, the more the service will grow and produce revenue.

Letting others do the work allows Apple to stay on track making the world's best computers.

Final note: This is not an Apple vs Microsoft grudge match, it's a beautiful end-around into the open field.

im waiting for the time to be able to use whatever "music" player with whatever music service... that will be a good time for consumers... unfortunately i doubt its gonna happen without someone budging somewhere on pricing (either upping song costs to users, or riaa dropping song price to companies)

oh well, i have an ipod, so what do i care ;)

Before you know it, Microsoft is going to implement some sort of licensing technology in Windows that says they have to approve of anything somebody might release for Windows, as they do for the Xbox. Goodbye, Windows market dominance, when that happens...

This whole thing about limiting choice by Apple is stupid. You have to be absolutely blind to miss the fact that people have MORE choice now. Now Windows users have another choice. Duh...

A limited selection of music would seem well suited to Windows users - seems like the top 40 is all you would need for a bunch of lemmings who follow the pied piper of IT. Perhaps that was too harsh.

Somewhat related, is it me, or does the new iTunes for Windows commercial not make it perfectly clear that iTunes for Windows is out. It just says "Mac or PC" - the first time I saw that, I thought it was asking me "Mac or PC" not telling me "Mac *and* PC" - again, this could be due to me always jumping to the defensive against so many windows people who bash my Mac, but I thought the ad was a little short on a clear message.

P.S. Time magazine had an article comparing all the music pay sites and rated iTunes the best, hassle free - I think I saw this in the doctors office last week - it might have been an old article, but it made some good points about how iTunes makes it very simple to buy songs - not just the software, but the buying process.

The only reason Apple ported iTunes to Windows was because of consumer demand for its Music Store, the application itself, and the increase of iPod sales.

The Mac version of iTunes has supported other MP3 players since its release, but many people have migrated to the iPod because of its storage capabilities, extra features and support for different formats besides MP3.

Apple developer's did a very good job porting iTunes and yet people still complain.

Allow Windows users to modify the interface, sync any mp3 player, integrate whatever format they choose and iTunes will eventually become the steaming pile of crap that is Windows Media Player.

We all should know this by now.

Here's a choice for Windows users, don't use iTunes.

Back