Microsoft Office 2004: What's New?

Will you buy/upgrade to Office 2004?

• Yes.

• Depends on feature list or price of software/upgrade?

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cockneygeezer

Registered
Dear MacUsers,

As we all know, Microsoft will be releasing Office 2004 in the next 5 months. Reports on features have been thin, in my opinion anyway, so I decided to hunt down a "What's New?".

After a long search, I have found it, straight from the source. The URL below is the "What's New?" section from the Office 2004 Preview that has been leaked on the Internet. (Please, don't ask how I got it, OK?)

All you need is a web browser.

http://www.michaeloglesby.com/Office2004New.zip

I would had post the ZIP file, but it's too big.

Hopefully, the guide will answer any of your questions that you might have about Office 2004. It did with me...

Also, I have post an Opinion Poll to get people's opinion on whether they are going to or considering buying Office 2004. Please read the "What's New?" before making an Poll.

New version of messenger doesnt look all that different. Alothough it is good that they added the new emoticons. No more stupid charictor combinations from windows users. But why didnt they add the kool picture at the side thing that windows users (using 6.1) can get? its so much beter than looking at peps profiles!

Does 2004 actually let you drag your toolbars out to make full use of a widescreen display? Currently, in Word anyway, you can only make the toolbars so long.... even though there are still hidden icons that I should be able to see.

OK msn realy needs to let you add more contacts I just got the message too many contacts please delete some of your contacts then try adding again. for like the 4th time this week i deleted another 4ppl who i hope either have bew addresses or dont ever come on. Come on microsoft let as add more ppl! please!

FROM
http://railheaddesign.com/

Tuesday, March 30, 2004 — 6:05am CST

Microsoft Office 2004’s Entourage
I can sum-up my initial impressions of Office 2004’s (Entourage) Exchange Server support in one word: CRAP. Out of 35 systems using our Exchange server day in and day out, my Mac is the only client that can’t take advantage of all that Exchange offers — not only that, but I couldn’t even get Office 2004’s Entourage to connect to my Exchange server. Entourage from Office v.X, however, connects just fine if I set up my Exchange account as IMAP (though I can’t send email, only receive).

That said, the MacBU has once again — so far — left those of us who try to use our Macs in a Windows environment out in the cold, barely allowing us to scrape by with the most minimal capabilities when compared to our Windows counterparts. I cannot express how disappointing this is, and I can only hope that the MacBU will bring *something* to OS X that will give TRUE Exchange Server support for professional, corporate Mac users.

While I’m thoroughly peeved about yesterday’s attempts at “true” Exchange integration, I haven’t thrown-in the towel just yet: as time permits today, I’ll be trying all manner of things to see if I can get things working at least as well as I have Entourage from Office v.X working.

Stay tuned…

What version of Exchange Server are you running? One thing, as I understand it, is 2003 will be the first to use Kerberos for authentication, which should standardize things much better for OS X, you'd think. I'm having a horrible time with Entourage X here at my company. If you've had success with it on 2000, I'd love to hear what you've done, as it seems very clunky, locks out accounts, and is just an annoyance.

When I pop for a G5 3 GHZ this Fall (c'mon, Steve, you said...), I'll prolly grab an Office/VPC combo package. It will be the first time I've ever been legit with a M$ product. I actually like Office. It's a damn solid package, not to mention is virtually universal. I'm just glad I don't need the Exchange server stuff.

By the time Office 2004 will arrive, Macs will be almost completely gone from the publishing company where I work.
Reason number 1: journalists are poor at languages, and MS has left us Italians without a localized version of Office for two iterations of the software (Office 2001 and Office v.X).
Reason number 2: we have a Win 2K Server, and Exchange communication with Entourage is horrible.
Reason number 3: understaffed IT thinks a single platform is easier to administer (and they choose the wrong one).
So I'll be using a PC laptop... at work, MS has succeeded.

On my personal iBook, anyway, I'll install Office 2004 (in ITALIAN) and try to enjoy it as I did in the 90s.

journalists are poor at languages,
Really? :confused: I speak and write English and Spanish and am conversant in Mandarin. :)

I use Word when I need to. It's almost a must-have these when communicating in the business world. From what I've read of the new office features, it'll really depend on the cost to purchase it, or to upgrade from last version.

More here

here

and here.

Entourage (and Mail) is worthless as an Exchange client unless it supports MAPI. Requiring IMAP, SMTP, and WebDAV to be turned on is something few Exchange administrators are willing to risk. Why bother, especially if the technology isn't required for the Windows client? Sounds like just a way for MS to say "well, we DID provide Mac users with a solution..." without actually doing it.

cockneygeezer said:
Dear MacUsers,

As we all know, Microsoft will be releasing Office 2004 in the next 5 months. Reports on features have been thin, in my opinion anyway, so I decided to hunt down a "What's New?".
[snip]

Wish that the Microsoft MBU ported One Note to the Mac and took advantage of MacOSX's Inkwell technology. Also wished they enabled better integration with iLife software.

What I wonder is why Corel hasn't ported Word Perfect Office to MacOSX? I hope Apple Computer is working on beefing up it Appleworks suite and integrating it with Keynote to come up with a new Apple iOffice suite.

Well, if rumors are true. Office could be announced by April 15 and in stores a month later (MSN Messenger 4.0 expected to be bundled with it).

Randman said:
Well, if rumors are true. Office could be announced by April 15 and in stores a month later (MSN Messenger 4.0 expected to be bundled with it).

Which office are you talking about: MS Office '04 or Apple's new office software?

He's fairly clearly talking about MS Office '04. No one here has mentioned Apple office software for which there's not even a credible *rumor* that it exists

All I am interested in is a decent update of MSN Messneger....doesn't look like we are going to get one though :(

Randman said:

if you go to the apple store online and pre-order it (just add it to your cart) it says it will ship in May

Back