Microsoft Office v.X

opposition

Registered
Hey, Im new here. I was surprised to notice when I first got my PowerBookG5 that it did not come with Apple Works, or Microsoft Office v.X! Only a 30 day trial for Microsoft Office v.X. I looked to see how much it would cost. Over four-hundred dollars? No way I'm not buying that. So I looked for a solution. Yea, for word processing there is text edit, but that seems like more of a backup plan. I tried sending Apple Works 6 to the new computer from the old one, an updater for apple works 6.22, downloading Appleworks. Then I ended up downloading Microsoft v.X off ********. It worked,
Thanks

Hi Opposition. Welcome on board. :)

I would suggest you to try www.OpenOffice.org - that does probably all you need and more than AppleWorks. And it is legally free.

Please don't talk or ask about wared on the board, here the quick rules.

I, too, would like to jump on this train/thread and simply ask for other alternatives to AppleWorks or (God forbid)...M$'s Office X.

I have looked into OpenOffice and Im thrilled with the work getting on with this application but...

You still have to trix some to open up OpenOffice.
There is no "easy-click and go" interface.
From what I have seen, right now OpenOffice is connected to Apples X11 and has a small downloadable GUI program to keep some of the "non terminal users" happy but still...the program is not finished.

Are there any of you out there who have tryed out any other clear cut word processing application (without e-mail and other things attatched to the program) that you would like to recommend?

I've been to versiontracker.com in search for such an application and found, to my dismay, that for Mac such applications are sparse.

We Mac users have tons of applications in every area but in this one, that is so important for many, there is a gap.

Or have I missed something?

Please share!

Best regards,
/G

Are people just looking for a full featured office package that's built native for OSX or is compatibility with MS Office file formats more important?

Originally posted by Lycander
Are people just looking for a full featured office package that's built native for OSX or is compatibility with MS Office file formats more important?

I can only talk for myself and I seek a stand alone app. for simple word processing and making spreadsheets.
One without mail and other stuff stucked into it.
And of course...theres no sence in an application that makes files that wont open with any other apps than itself.
The point is to make similar files that M$ Office makes or can open and in the same way but without all the mish-mash of complexity and build-ons.

I have no use of an application that makes a file that others cant open (like ppl. with Pc's).

Regards,
/G

A couple commercial utilities (they're not word processing apps) may help you (or you or)

icWord
icExcel (about $30 each, I think)

will convert Word's .doc format to other formats.

Doug

Mellel seems to be quite a nice little application though....I cant save the files to anything else than .mell which wont open with M$ Word.

If it werent for that I'd jump for joy.
Whats the point in making such an app. if its not going to open in other more used alike programs?

Regards,
/G

Originally posted by dktrickey
A couple commercial utilities (they're not word processing apps) may help you (or you or)

icWord
icExcel (about $30 each, I think)

will convert Word's .doc format to other formats.

Doug

Converting files is not the issue.
Finding a word processing alternative to M$'s Office is though.
At least a good one that wont cost you a multitude OR...save in strange formats OR...have a terminal interface/run in Apples X11.

Perhaps I just have to simply wait for better days to come :rolleyes:

Regards,
/G

Oh, and btw...Nisus Writer looks to be the best out there to choose from but the only problem with that is that there seems not to be a way to download it (for a tryout) than buying it at the same time.

/G

I wonder if the .rtf files generated by TextEdit open well in Microsoft Word. Becasue then you could use TextEdit. You can show the ruler and enable spell-checking (if it's not already working) and, there ya go. A simpler word processor, inexpensive, and with cross-platform file compatibility.

Originally posted by dktrickey
I wonder if the .rtf files generated by TextEdit open well in Microsoft Word. Becasue then you could use TextEdit. You can show the ruler and enable spell-checking (if it's not already working) and, there ya go. A simpler word processor, inexpensive, and with cross-platform file compatibility.
The only problem I can think of that might come up, is Windows is the only OS I know so far that uses 2 character for line breaks (CR LN or 0x0a0d in hex) whereas Unicies (including OSX) use just one character (0x0a) BBEdit annoys me and is unsuitable for a code editor because it uses I think 0x09 for line breaks and gcc doesn't like that.

Is that why text files from the Wintel side always have a ? at the start of each line? Hmm...

I should think RTF files would work in MS Word regardless of what created them because RTF is a standard. It is like a souped-up version of your basic text file. If MS Word has trouble reading a TextEdit RTF, then there's a problem with your Word.

Back