Microsoft planning on tracking EVERYONE!

MrNivit1

Registered
Well at least those who buy MS powered watches...

I found this while parousing CNN.com...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/01/09/microsoft.watch.reut/index.html

I love this part...

"Some manufacturers, Microsoft said, are also looking at making the watches into tracking devices using the satellite-based Global Positioning System, a step that would allow for a range of features like navigation."

Granted navigation is good, but this seems like a way for Microsoft to track all of their customers, literally!

Thoughts?

Ehrm... But you guys _do_ get that a GPS system doesn't _tell_ the satellite where you are, rather the satellites tell YOU where you are. It's kind of the other way round.

If you're paranoid (or interested in things that make some people paranoid), mobile phone networks tell their operators already where you are, as long as your phone is connected to their system.

This is definitely _not_ MS' wish to know where you are, wherever you are, although I'm sure, they want to. :p

Originally posted by fryke
Ehrm... But you guys _do_ get that a GPS system doesn't _tell_ the satellite where you are, rather the satellites tell YOU where you are. It's kind of the other way round.

If you're paranoid (or interested in things that make some people paranoid), mobile phone networks tell their operators already where you are, as long as your phone is connected to their system.

This is definitely _not_ MS' wish to know where you are, wherever you are, although I'm sure, they want to. :p

EVERYTHING IS WATCHING US!!!! 1984!!!! ARGH!!!! IT'S TRUE!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! AhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

:D ;)

Now I know that GPS systems are only supposed to tell you where you are, but wouldn't it be easy to relay that information (via programming in the watch) to another location, say MS HQ? Couldn't the watch also send along it's serial number, which is then looked up in a registration database and matched up with a name? I'm just playing paranoid, but couldn't this be possible?

nope they just wanna know where we go, whats our lifestyle, so that they can market products according to ur lifestyle, thus more profit for them

---
they have got to be kidding!!!!

we use macs (anti-microsoft)

Actually, it was not so long ago that I read in the new scientist web site (archives require a subscription) about a company that was working in a system that would use cell towers as radar. I don't mean GPS or some other location service. But rather they were talking about tapping into the raw signals from cell towers and constructing a radar map. the software would them filter out static objects and present a map of all moving objects within the area covered by the towers....

just because you are paranoid it does not mean that they are not after you. :D

anyhow, I think it was the reg that had an article explaining that this was a network move. MS is (once again) attempting to replicate the PC business elsewhere by trying to position it's technology as a required resource. it's not about owning the devices, it is about owning the only distribution channel so they can squeeze everyone.

unfortunately (for them, good for everyone else) companies have gotten wise to MS and do their best to make sure their particular industries don't head down the PC industry path. of course, MS also overplays their hand too soon (just look at how they screwed sendo!)

Tracking devices in watches aren't bad as long as you can control it. I mean if i got kidnapped and i had a watch on that told my location. I'd be found in no time.

also i think it wouldnt fly very well with our government if there wasnt the option to turn the "tracking" off, although i doubt it would fly at all that they would be allowed to track us...

some people are just paranoid ;)

... and how should we call mac users who would get a watch like that, swatches? Swatchers? :confused:

Hey!! I Know!! We can all buy (or steal/obtain..whatever) a bunch of these watches...I mean like THOUSANDS! Then, we but them in boxes and leave them in Apple stores across the nation! LOL! That show MIcO$hafT were we're at, those dirty yellow bastards!!:mad: :D

Actually, it was not so long ago that I read in the new scientist web site (archives require a subscription) about a company that was working in a system that would use cell towers as radar. I don't mean GPS or some other location service. But rather they were talking about tapping into the raw signals from cell towers and constructing a radar map. the software would them filter out static objects and present a map of all moving objects within the area covered by the towers....

I would not have thought that the wavelengths would have worked. Cell phones are in the radio wavelength band, and because the lengths are quite long, they will tend to go round objects of the same size of less. If they didn't then the signal wouldn't travel too far. They could probably get something to work, but they wouldn't be able to see much. The resolution would be limited to the wavelength as well, making it very grainy.

You can be tracked already if you use a GSM mobile. Products have been out for several years for that. check this link out.

R.

Originally posted by fryke

While it is true that mobile phone operators have a general location, it would be nearly impossible to find exactly where you are - much less distinguising a specific cell user within a crowded/populated area. As an example, when the World Trace Center fell, and people were still left inside, emergency services had a hard time pinpointing the location of people trapped in the rubble.

The FCC is mandating all operators to use a new E911 service, employing a form of GPS into the cellphone and relaying that information back to emergency operators. I don't know if GPRS (which is a GSM 3G variant) has the capability to track people within feet.

-Brad

Back