Microsoft’s Xbox 2 iPod killer?

Quicksilver

Find a golden apple.
Found this interesting story.

Could Microsoft be preparing to drop a potential bombshell with the Xbox 2? We don’t know anything for certain yet, but check out this tantalizing bit of gossip we received in response to our post earlier today about the Xbox 2 and whether or not it’s going to sport a hard drive:

--> Full Story <--

Quicksilver said:
Found this interesting story.

--> Full Story <--

Yeah... that is what MS needs to do with the XBox2... make it another money loser!

Loss leaders work in some cases. It is obvious that in this case MS is making a mistake with the XBox. Anyone have the actual numbers as to how much MS has thrown away on this thing?

I remember reading at X-Box's launch that the development cost ran in excess of 3 or 4 Billion US dollars. Whether it has been a money loser or not remains to be seen, I'd suspect the X-Box will continue to generate revenue for some time and, unlike Nintendo's Gamecube, seems to have been widely accepted and adopted.

Last I heard they were waiting to see if the ps3 includes one, looks like sony has them by the balls. It's interesting to see since the xbox is more powerful and easier to develop for, but the sony has so many more potential game buyers.

symphonix said:
I remember reading at X-Box's launch that the development cost ran in excess of 3 or 4 Billion US dollars. Whether it has been a money loser or not remains to be seen, I'd suspect the X-Box will continue to generate revenue for some time and, unlike Nintendo's Gamecube, seems to have been widely accepted and adopted.

The Gamecube is a close third in the U.S., but is nos. two in Japan and possibly nos. 2 in Europe as well. In Japan the Cube is preferred (so I've read) because it's smaller and is Nintendo. As long as Nintendo is making enough money (GBA) I don't care what their marketshare is. All I need is Zelda to be happy. It's almost like Nintendo is becoming the Apple of the console market. Not the biggest, just the best. Of course, that's just like my opinion.

XBOX appears on the surface to be a loss leader however they are showing signs of turning a profit in software licensing and services (XBOX Live).

Why did they put that title to the article??

If I want a thing to replce my iPod ... I'll just get the iPod mini. Not a supersized Xbox. No way I will be bringing an Xbox with me to carry my music around ..

Giaguara said:
Why did they put that title to the article??

If I want a thing to replce my iPod ... I'll just get the iPod mini. Not a supersized Xbox. No way I will be bringing an Xbox with me to carry my music around ..

keyword portable hard drive...

I am a Playstation person my self. and they are going to force you to buy a hard drive! Thats lame and expensive!

Microsoft didnt turn a profit for a while on the Xbox but they are now - they were well aware they would be making a loss for the first couple of years, however its starting to pay off, 3 Million consoles sold now yes? I know thats still not much compared to the PS2 but its in shorter space of time and their market share of the game s world is slowly but steadily increasing.
Nevertheless, this sounds like a load of cobblers. I can beleive they would be willing to make a loss if they thought it worth their while in the long run, but it isnt is it? Lets look at the logic behind such an alleged product. You can remove the hard drive - why? To be able to carry your games and settings and music library to other xboxes, fair enough. But that means less games bought as everyone shares them, and no further need of memory cards - long term loss of income. So its a portable music player for $100; thats great, what a bargain - but to be considered any real improvement on the 10Gb HD in the current xbox, it'll have to be bigger than 10Gb. As xbox slowly grows in market share and becomes a household name brand all over the world, is it really smart to risk sacrificing some performance on a supposedly upgraded, improved product to provide with utterly alien and irrelevant functionality?
Sounds like this guy was drunk and winding up the fanboy in the bar. I know M$ are working on a small digital video player, and their attitude to hardware migth change totally, but in short; a likely story...

you are the king of looking through posts soulseek... there are at least 3 links in past articles about the xbox that mention the loss of profit in xboxs

The hard drive on the xbox is one of the best things about it. PS2 fans, your loading times are so much higher once in the game because things have to keep getting loaded into the 1MB of memory. If sony does put one in, pay the fee and enjoy.

You can't and won't be able to take entire games on the portable drive, just saved games. The xbox uses the drive to store stuff that you download, and pieces of games that you play for speed purposes.

The number of xboxes sold is above 10 million, but meanwhile the ps2 is up to 70 million.

There is now a hard drive for the PS 2 but it is meant for storage of items on Final Fantasy 11 (because is a MMORPG) and FFXI is the only game that uses it right now

(not to mention the game costs $100 because it is the only way you can buy the hard drive)

I myself think Microsoft would be dumb not to include a hard drive with the Xbox 2, but I wouldn't care for this "music playing external HD". As for Xbox doing better lately, I would doubt it but I don't know any "facts". I do however think the Xbox is a lot better a system then PS2, but then again, I think the Gamecube is the best system. And whoever said gamecube reminds them of apple.......yes most definately thats what it seems to me. They are the underdog (to sony at least) and have the best game line-up, like apple is the underdog and has the best operating system.....not to mention its a powerpc chip in the gamecube. I know I will end up getting the next Nintendo system and Xbox 2, simply because PS3's microship seems to have various problems, and there aren't really any playstation exclusive titles that I care for, and the rest I can get on the other two systems. I can't wait to see how Zelda, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear look in 2006 :)

I can. Have to say don't agree about Nintendo having the better line-up, if anything its probably Sony, at least that was the conventional wisdom before the xbox game library exploded. I mean whats next? Super Mario Kart 47? I think Nintendo play to a closed shop, you either love 'em or you don't. Whereas I've seen people come round to buying an xbox or PS2 where they wouldnt consider it before, I don't think its the case with the Gamecube. I know theres more to Nintendo than this, but they do give the impression of being the cartoony-platform game kings - which I'm sure they are, but if you aren't into platform games then theres not much else to sell it to you is there? For me the best thing about the cube was its shape and size.
I stand corrected about xbox starting to make a profit, I think I'd actually read they were just closing the gap (they're certainly edging their way towards a profit, making less of a loss each year - great "hey guys, we only lost 2 billion this year instead of three! Woohoo!") and probably had a selective-memory episode. Having looked at those figures, do you think this makes xbox the greatest (or at least most expensive) loss-leader of all time?

resident evil, resident evil zero, re 2-4 and code veronica x , resident evil 4, metal gear solid the twin snakes, metroid prime, starfox, metroid prime 2:echoes, splinter cell, splinter cell pandora tomorrow, 1080 avalanche, goldeneye 2, hitman 2, mortal kombat deadly alliance, rainbow six 3, redfaction 2, soul calibur 2, ssx tricky and 3, star fox 2, star wars rogue squadron 2 and 3, starcraft ghost, timesplitters 2 and 3, p.n. 03, wave race blue storm (all games out now or announced for gamecube)

.......these games arent for little kids and theyre only a small minority of the awesome games that arent "cartoony". Also, cartoony games such as mario sunshine, zelda, viewtiful joe, viewtiful joe 2, luigis mansion, etc. are all awesome games! Mario Kart 47? theres only been three I thought........how many metal gears have there/will have been? Or silent hill games, or resident evil, etc.? 3 games for a series isnt that much these day, especially when the first one was for super nintendo and the second 64......games get updated with the systems, classics come back to be even better. I'm just trying to prove a point that nintendo gamecube is indeed a very good system, and its in my own opinion that they have the best game line-up. I do agree that Xbox is a great system with great online features, and its awesome that theres a hard drive (even though pandora tomorrow load times are pretty bad) , but I still prefer Gamecube........for the games

Back