Microsoft word 2004

margot

Registered
I have mac osx 10.4.4 and shouldn't it have come with microsoft word and excell and all of those things? I dont understand. When someone sends me a document with .doc at the end. My computer says that my microsoft word has expired. So do I have to buy that 300 dollar microsoft word just to read a document someone sent me?

When you buy a mac it comes with a 30 day trial version of office, otherwise it has its own somewhat comparable software installed. Just like most PCs you must buy it if you want to keep it. If you ask me, it's well worth the money. If you don't care, you should be able to open word documents in Appleworks. If you press ctrl as you click on the file you can specify which program you want to use to open it, and it will convert it as necessary.

You can also look into the Open Office. It's a free open source suite that's compatible with MS Office file formats. It's files are also much smaller when saved compared to MS Office, making them easier on portability - esp. when e-mailing large presentations or chunky spread sheets.

If you're familiar with MS Office you'll feel right at home in Open Office.

...But it's all personal preference.

MacOS X 10.4.4 is an operating system, and comes with no third party 'office' like applications - for free.
Your Macintosh came with MacOS X 10.4.x and a trial version of Microsoft Office 2004 pre-installed, as stated by dalibal.

Depending on the complexity of the '.doc' file, you may be able to view and / or edit it with 'TextEdit' ('/Applications/' folder). The same applies to 'AppleWorks', if provided by Apple.
Also, depending on the complexity of the document, the originator of the '.doc' file may be able to create a '.rtf' file, which you may be able to view and / or edit with 'TextEdit'.
Finally, if the document is to be 'read' only on your part; perhaps, the originator may be able to create a '.pdf' file, of which you can view and print via 'Adobe Reader', and even 'Safari'. The same applies to 'AppleWorks'.

It wasn't mentioned here, and your problem may already be solved, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case you didn't know: There is a student/teacher version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac that sells for $132 on the MacMall web site (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~399933.asp). I mention it because you quoted an earlier price of $300 and I didn't want you to pay that much.

As long as you're not a business, you can get that version (even if you're not currently a student or teacher). In fact, MS is changing their policy on that with the next version of Office (2007 for PC) to include the word "home" in the title.

Open Office is a good, free, alternative too (as mentioned in this thread).

Hope that helps!
--JflipB

Back