Middle-button mouse-scrolling?

texanpenguin

Registered Penguin
My USB mouse is a standard two-button mouse with a clickable scrollwheel. I've been using it alot on my PC, and have only recently been using it in lieu of my borrowed iMac "Hockey Puck" mouse plugged into my PowerBook. Anyway, I've become very accustomed in Windows to clicking with the scrollwheel and then moving the cursor around a "navigation point" that is dynamically spawned where I middle-clicked to scroll.

I think that in Windows-land this is a program-specific utility as IE and Mozilla implement it slightly diffently...

My question is, does anyone know of a little application that can do this for me on my PowerBook? Preferably some form of SysPrefPane...

The main dilemma is I don't know how on EARTH to search for that little... thing. I can't think of what to Google for.

After some searching, I discovered that this is referred to by both Mozilla and Microsoft as AutoScroll, and is part of the .NET framework. As yet, no sign of a Mac equivalent.

Success!

I strongly suggest you all visit http://www.usboverdrive.com/ and download it. The developer says that the next update will be a native System Preference, til then, it sits in your Applications folder. Nevertheless, it does Autoscroll and far, FAR more.

Very cool! I am going to give it a whirl. Still using Quark 4 in OS 9 and would love to have scrolling available. :)

Back