Mighty Mouse?

Akkarin

Registered
Okay what Einstein invents a mouse this good and puts a 1M cable on it. :rolleyes:

Am I missing something here? Have I bought one with a small cable or something and am the village idiot for doing so?

Is there a way I can extend the cable?

Apple's USB cables have always been woefully short. I actually had to cut extra holes in my desk (a perfectly normal desk!) to get my Apple keyboard cable to extend all the way to the side of my iMac. I'm glad I got a new (MacAlly) keyboard and mouse with my Mac mini. Their cables are about twice the length.

Lots of companies make extension cables, though. Search Amazon.com for "usb extension" and you'll get what you need. They only cost a few bucks.

It's designed so that you plug it into a keyboard.. an Apple keyboard, obviously :)

As for the keyboard's short USB length.. they must assume that you have the computer and keyboard on the same level, that you don't have a keyboard tray. It gets annoying, I had to get a USB hub to get the cables to reach. My Powermac G4 had an extended cable length for it's keyboard, though.

eric2006 said:
It's designed so that you plug it into a keyboard.. an Apple keyboard, obviously :)
... unless you have an Apple _wireless_ keyboard. _Without_ USB interface. But then, of course, you'd probably buy a wireless mouse, also. Okay... Still: I gotta agree: that cable on the Mighty Mouse is _awfully_ short.

When I bought my PowerMac, my Mighty Mouse came with a short cable but also an extension cable if you wanted to put it further away. I think this is better than having a long cable because long cables can restrict the movement of the mouse and can be untidy.

Didn't you guys get an extension cable with the Apple keyboard? I did. But the mouse is too short, certainly.

No, since the PowerBook didn't come with either external mouse or keyboard and I bought my Mighty Mouse separately... And no, there wasn't an extension cable, sadly. But if this comes with new computers with Mighty Mice, I think they should DEFINITELY add that to the Mighty Mouse package. I mean: "Mighty Mouse comes with the shortest..." doesn't make a good headline. Or does it. ;)

I have a strange problem:

I have a MacMini G4 w/ osx.4 and a mighty mouse. Computer and mouse are both barely 6 months old. When I tried to install the mouse software it said that computer was too old or something. What the heck gives? Please note also that the Mini and mouse were ordered new from the factory and shipped together. Why on earth would they be incompatible??

fryke said:
No, since the PowerBook didn't come with either external mouse or keyboard and I bought my Mighty Mouse separately... And no, there wasn't an extension cable, sadly. But if this comes with new computers with Mighty Mice, I think they should DEFINITELY add that to the Mighty Mouse package. I mean: "Mighty Mouse comes with the shortest..." doesn't make a good headline. Or does it. ;)

I too use a powerbook. I brought the Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse when the Mighty Mouse came out. In the Apple Keyboard box there was an extension cable. Sadly you can't use it for the mighty mouse (it has some groove in it to prevent doing so) but it's still handy.

"some groove" that prevents a USB extension cable from being used with a USB mouse?! ... hm. Since I've bought the wireless keyboard, I naturally didn't get that extension cable. But I guess that'd be meant for the _keyboard_ if it comes with the keyboard...

yes, it's the standard usb extender for the keyboard. the idea being of course that it's for the keyboard and they aren't just bundling in a free usb extension.

Back